PDA

View Full Version : Finest dragline operator I ever knew

9W Monighan
04-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Watch and learn from our elders. This guy has to be one of the finest dragline operators I have ever met. I was hoping to have him run my dragline model but I never could get it operational in time before he passed away.:( I wish I had some closeup video of him at the controls on his Bantam dragline.
Last summer I let one of his great grand kids,about 3yrs old move the hoist up and dump a bucket on my 9W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQcWlY1ZhV0

D8R
04-10-2011, 11:27 AM
That bucket loads up fast!
Familiar grounds, trying to go to Brownsville in may if everything works out.
Dan

pugs
04-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Nice throws

Stuff
04-10-2011, 11:10 PM
would be fun to run!

Car5858
04-10-2011, 11:12 PM
That they are, getting the casting down takes a lot of practice.

9W Monighan
04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Too bad the video doesn't show the rear wheels coming off the ground 6 inches when he's running:eek: After Walt sold that machine he rode around in his golf cart giving orders to us younger apprentices:D He could look at a bucket,spit his Mail Pouch and say: "It won't dig" not until he gave instructions on how to adjust things:D I rode along with him on board right around the time this video was taken and he was giving me instructions but I could barely hear him under the noise. Next he let me have a try. This was my first time operating a dragline but no way near as good as he did. I did have another chance but turned it down on the B-E 650W walker in another couple videos shown on Bennettshovel.

SmallHaul
04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Just from watching that one video you can learn a lot about running a dragline. If you watch the cast to the left around the 2:50 minute mark you will see how he keeps the back of the bucket raised up while pulling the bucket over hard ground. He is using the teeth to break it up. Very nice control of the bucket!