PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya 3 speed vs Wedico single Speed.

Big Run
05-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi guys,

Just bought an older basic Wedico truck, with a single speed transmission.
I've always loved the idea of having 3 speeds, but I'm just wondering if it would be worth buying a Tamiya unit to put into my wedico ?

I don't know all that much about them, would it handle the power of the 550 12v motor that sits in the Wedico already ?

Just after pro's and con's really, I have no issues with using Tamiya parts in my Wedico. I'm a long shot off of affording a Wedico 3 speed.

Thoughts ?

Big Run - I'm hooked.

Brian in PA
05-17-2011, 05:05 PM
My 2 cents. The 3 speeds are kinda cool and a novel idea. But usually when I run at a meet I rarely get out of 1st gear (i have a 4:1 reduction unit also). But this is just me.

Brian

Big Run
05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
So really it's more of a novelty than a necessity, but I guess that's what makes them so cool... also very impressive.

You said you are running a 4:1 reduction as well, is this a transfer case ?

I'll have to wait and see what I think of the wedico trans first I guess, but I'm leaning towards a 3-speed.

Brian in PA
05-17-2011, 11:18 PM
I have a PMD reduction in one truck and a scale 4WD GRU in the other.

Brian

Espeefan
05-18-2011, 01:36 AM
I've run the Tamiya 3 speeds and I think it can be fun to shift the gears, but the truth of the matter is I found myself in 2nd gear for just about everything. Once the novelty of shifting gears wears off, you'll probably pick one gear and stick with it. I have a Wedico truck that I intended to build with the 3 speed, but changed my mind. Now it's a single speed, with a planetary gearbox and a 540, 55 turn motor.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/Espeefan/New%20Wedico%20Peterbilt%20build/WedicoBanebotsplateinchassisclose.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/Espeefan/New%20Wedico%20Peterbilt%20build/BanebotsNovak55T.jpg

My truck isn't done yet, but I know I'm going to like this combination better then the 3 speed that I had in there.

Big Run
05-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Hmm, thanks for the help there guys. It's a little hard to decide.
I guess I'll just have to buy a 3 speed and see how I like it.. I guess I can always find a use for it if I don't like it.

Espeefan - That planetary box looks very nice sitting in there, I had noticed just how nice it looked in the build thread. It's coming along nicely. ;)

Big Run - When will the Germans come up with an 18 speed box ? :p

Espeefan
05-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Thanks Big Run. It's a pretty nice gearbox, from what I can tell, with me simply running it without the truck actually pulling anything. Seems impossible to make the motor bog down and the low speed control is great. I wouldn't wait around for me to finish the truck though, for a full review. You'll be waiting a long time!

rc_farmer
05-22-2011, 12:04 AM
I have to agree with Brian, the idea of a realistic 3-speed is a novelty and hardly anyone gets there trucks far enough away from them to use all 3 speeds, especially at MEETS. Mine is not hooked up at all. just locked in 1st gear w/GRD.