PDA

View Full Version : RC4WD new trailer

SonoranWraith
07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Anyone seen this yet:

http://store.rc4wd.com/114-Scale-Heavy-Duty-Flat-Bed-Transporter-Trailer_p_1571.html

Not enough pics of design. Are they getting serious about 1/14 now after all the years of talking about it? They seem to trickle the stuff out.

Tamiya Cowboy
07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah well it is sort of ahhh? Well it needs to go back to the drawing board with it. I am happy they are getting after it but it is not any better than the other lowboy that was put out that was not worth it but the effort is great to see and I am sure they will just keep getting better with each new thing like everything they do.

cbazq271
07-01-2011, 08:07 PM
its great that a nice scale company is starting to make semi truck stuff. Look at the other items rc4wd sells, they are perfectly to scale. We need to remember this is the first 1/14 trailer they have sold. I agree it is far from the quality of the other scale stuff they sell but if you give them positive suggestions and some time to hone there semi truck skills, I will bet they put out some of the best scale stuff made.

Car5858
07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I have to agree :)

Espeefan
07-02-2011, 02:12 AM
I like RC4WD's products. I really think it is great that they are making efforts to bring out scale semi truck models and products, but it's kind of disappointing at the same time to see them turn out something like this trailer. It's not bad, but it's not great. We tend to want the most accurate models we can get. That's what this hobby is about. I hate to see RC4WD try to offer products that may not sell well because they aren't much to look at, and then think that there is no market for this stuff. There is a growing market, but it takes the right kind models to sell. They need a RC semi truck guy to consult with before they settle on a design.

Claus
07-02-2011, 02:14 AM
When is somebody goes to sell dropdeck trailers like Espeefan's signature?

ihbuilder
07-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Eh , what ever

When is somebody goes to sell dropdeck trailers like Espeefan's signature?

I'm in the process ;) but as a custom make to scale of a real 1

fhhhstix
07-02-2011, 09:20 AM
We have guys who haul in and out of work with real trailers similar to these. They are not low boys like you guys are thinking of it is a rigid trailer that you load from the rear only. For the 1:1 trailers it is a cheap option for the mid sized and slightly larger equipment and work real well for hauling strait trucks like dump trucks and water trucks. Notice the support legs at the front of the trailer since the neck is rigid you need them to uncouple the trailer from the truck. I believe that they chose this style of trailer for the simplicity of it and keep the cost down, even though this style of trailer is out dated.

I am glad they are trying to make more products and don't want to discourage them from more in the future. Constructive criticism is good and RC4WD would probably listen and make some changes if enough people wanted the same changes and were willing to pay for the extra cost associated with it.

Travis

JAMMER
07-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Did we just have a problem with a guy about putting pop rivets in a model and now here comes RC4WD and some say they look good. I guess it's who has the product that makes a difference with the flip-florin. Ed

Espeefan
07-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I would like it if RC4WD could post some photos of the parts in their unassembled state. Just curious to see what we are actually talking about here. How many pieces are actually in the makings of the trailer, ect. It looks awfully simple in design. I am sure there is zero suspension on the trailer, if it's designed to haul 200 pounds. I'd rather have a suspension, with less weight capacity. Who needs to haul 200 pounds anyway? Vario has a pretty heavy excavator, true, but anyone who can afford that model is probably not afraid to spend a little more to get a nicer looking trailer.

Cossett
07-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Well said Nathan

Cheers Tracy

BRICKNICK
07-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Well its a start, it opens up the market for larger private company to mass produce 1:14 scale trailers for our hobby. Instead of all of us starting with the same lousy tamiya factory trailers that we have to modify to our liking.

pigeonfarmboy
07-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I think it looks pretty nice but no way it costs $100 to ship it within the US!!!!!

Do we know for sure it is pop-rivets? Looks like it could be button head screws to me.

fhhhstix
07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I agree with pigeonfarmboy they look like button head screws to me as well. I think the trailer is fine for most but if you can afford a vario excavator then you can afford one of the higher end fully working lowboys that are currently offered which have a lot of detail such as the one PMD offers. I have shipped my trailers and a Carson drop deck I first went to the UPS store and they wanted $150 a piece to ship them so I went back to work and used the boxes and packing that we save and used our UPS account. With out putting the box size on the ticket and just using weight it was about $40 to ship them which is what we did and got by with it just because of how much we ship. We did put in the box size just to see the difference and the price jumped to $75 and that was just shipping. I will bet with their packaging cost and shipping it is close to $85 for them to ship it with no in store handling fee's.

Travis

pigeonfarmboy
07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Good to know. I suppose I was leaving out the all-important packing materials and size. I've been an RC4wd customer for a very long time now and I can say their stuff is always packed very well. I do agree there's nicer stuff out there. Looks as if they just missed a more budget price point with this guy.

Espeefan
07-02-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't know if the PMD low boys, with the detachable necks are still available or not. I remember they sold for $1200 or somewhere around there. They were entirely machined aluminum trailers, and worth every penny of that price, but now when I look on PMD's website, I only see the simpler tig welded lowboys that have a fixed neck, and sell for $500 or so. Then there is Joe's Truck Stop lowboys. They aren't to bad, till you get to the neck. I think he was selling them for $1K plus. The machined lowboys PMD was selling could also be converted to functional hydraulic necks. I really only know one guy who bought one. He liked it a lot, but said it was so heavy, even empty that it would bottom out the suspension on a stock Tamiya big rig. Calm n Sedated is his screen name. He is a member here, but haven't seen him post to much lately.

Claus
07-02-2011, 10:08 PM
PMD lowboy is still advertised on their site. It is under Tamiya Trailers. Besides the hydraulic neck you can also add a fourth flip axle and outriggers and planking. It is the best looking 1/14 lowboy I have ever seen.

Nathan, doesn't Stepside have one of those as well?

fhhhstix
07-02-2011, 10:12 PM
PMD still has the nice one. product # 1322T Link to trailer page (http://www.gardentrucking.com/products.tpl?action=search&cart=13096587452189127&eqCATEGORYdatarq=Tamiya%20Trailers&eqMAJORCATEGORYdatarq=products&Titlesumm=t&Titlesort=1&max=10) I know Rod and his dad have one as well and it is a real nice trailer. Rods dad is supposed to send me their neck so I can motorize it and from looking at the neck it wont take much work to do, it is set up real similar to mine.

Travis

doodlebug
07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
For $150.00, it better be in a plywood crate! just my .000000002. UPS has been hard on alot of order's. Cargo Monkey's?????
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

spudd
07-03-2011, 07:01 AM
I think the trailer isn't to bad but the shipping is over priced

Stuff
07-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I would like it if RC4WD could post some photos of the parts in their unassembled state. Just curious to see what we are actually talking about here. How many pieces are actually in the makings of the trailer, ect. It looks awfully simple in design. I am sure there is zero suspension on the trailer, if it's designed to haul 200 pounds. I'd rather have a suspension, with less weight capacity. Who needs to haul 200 pounds anyway? Vario has a pretty heavy excavator, true, but anyone who can afford that model is probably not afraid to spend a little more to get a nicer looking trailer.

or even to have a good underbelly shot right?!

kyleandtavion
07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Hopefully rc4wd will step there semi truck stuff up to the calibre of there Rock crawling products.

Cossett
07-25-2011, 12:30 PM
For those that haven't read the thread on Scale here is a link-----

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62140

Cheers Tracy

YoungGunz
07-25-2011, 11:50 PM
The look might be part of it but i would want to build the thing if i bought it from a company...

WhiteWolf McBride
09-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Arrgg. One miskey, post goes poof.

Two words on the shipping cost: Volumetric Weight. The bigger the ~volume~ of the box, the more its designated shipping weight. It could be full of feathers, or your trailer, same cost. THATS why I ask sellers to dis-assemble and pack as tight as possible. Saved me a chunk of change time and again.

When ya can, use USPS w/ extras (or if Cdn, Canada Post or sub-div), especially across the border, as Customs Brokerage is ~deadly~. UPS/FedEx HAVE to make one at-the-door attempt, rarely leave a note, and don't know what " Hold at Depot, no at-door payment possible " means.

I had to make three 30 mile round trips to finally collect my Leopard 2A6 From UPS (AKA Oops!) and the guy carried it out by a hole punched in the END of the box! I refused to sign unless they documented the 'damage' or I inspected it. Luckily the lass at the desk understood, and the tank was ok (only 'cause I'd had the sender dismount the main gun barrel for shipment)

As RC4WD sends their lowboys assembled, and by UPS, I'll not be buying there. I'd rather go 'Assembly Req'd' and USPS, thank you.

my $.02 Cdn,
WhiteWolf