PDA

View Full Version : How much do you fudge?

Hockeydad
07-09-2011, 07:37 PM
I need the builders thoughts. How much do you fudge dimensions to make it look correct or right vs building it to exact 1:14 (1:14.5) or 1:16 scale? What are everyones thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan

fhhhstix
07-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I just do what I have to so it looks good to me. Remember it is your model so make it look good to you, just take your time and do it over if it doesn't look right. If you post pics when you are building and point out what you don't like or think is pretty close and ask for feedback there are plenty of experienced builders here that can offer suggestions of how to fix it or tell you it looks fine and you are being over critical of your work.

Travis

Car5858
07-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Bryan, what Travis has stated is it absoulate truth.

I can only add that sometimes the design of the scale part will not work as intended, so some design changes are done on a need to do basis.

For me, I am my own worst critic. But everyone here will tell you pretty much the same as Trivas did.

Make the model the way you want it.

If you still have any doughts look at Picasso, he made millions doing things the way he wanted.

Carl

Espeefan
07-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Yup, sometimes form needs to follow function. These models are off a little in their dimensions anyway. Wedicos aren't really 1/16 scale and Tamiyas aren't really 1/14 scale. Sometimes you just have to mock things up with cardboard cut-outs (CAD -cardboard added design) and make adjutsments till it looks right. Other times you need to adjust for components you can't get in the right scale. Wheels and tires might require you to scale up or down to keep proportions looking correct. I don't think there is a fudge factor really. You won't even notice a scale 6" much.

rc_farmer
07-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I second what has been stated already and to add my .02 worth, most guys and gals build what they are familiar with......some are actual truck drivers, construction workers, etc. and they build what they see everyday. Build what you are comfortable with and don't be afraid to ask for help. They is a wealth of talent here.

derailed
07-10-2011, 09:28 PM
i tend to eyeball engineer everything
just keep it in proportion
nothing wrong with modellers licence

glenn

Izzy
07-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Proportion is a great way to explain it. I have found the tamiya kits to not necessarily always run scale in width versus height etc. Best to have some photos from different angles to help remind you of those proportions.

There are a few out here that strive for as close as possible and then are some of us that go for fairly close and we are all in between there somewhere. For me it depends on what the model represents to me and what I am striving for.

Chris