PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a used Yamaha Rhino

mazdaparts
07-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm looking at a used Yamaha Rhino my boss is selling. Its an 04 model with 31XX miles, 319.X hours. It seems to be in great mechanical shape, runs great trans seems to be solid, 4x4 and diff lock seem to work. I did notice it can be hard to start at times. If you pump the throttle it fires up. But this doesn't happen all the time, any other time it fires up almost before it makes a full revolution. It looks like it was parked outside most of its life as the plastic is faded, but it does have new tires, metal roof and glass flip up windshield. Got the boss down to $4000 for it which is right in the middle on nada value.

Any thoughts or things I should look for/at? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on it on monday.

pigeonfarmboy
07-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Do you intend to go fast, travel on off-road trails, or just use it as a utility vehicle? I've driven all the different Side X Sides and there's many reasons I own an RZR.

mazdaparts
07-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Mainly as a utility vehicle as it was intended. Running between the fields during harvest and such. Take the family on an evening cruise. Maybe play in the snow. I was considering a lifted golfcart but for the money I can get more speed, 4x4 and more fun with the Rhino.

Lil Giants
07-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Quite a few farmers around here have a Rhino, it's a great workhorse! A few yrs ago my lil brother was working in the NWT, I had gone up there for a 10day visit & we did alot quading in very rugged terrain. One of the guys in the group had a Rhino, he carried all the gear for a camp out & had no trouble keeping up to rest of us on 650cc 4x4 quads, he went thru just as much mud & deep water. It's a very universal machine.

mazdaparts
07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Boss let me bring it home today and we did some "testing" Crossing ditches and ripping up and down the road. Loaded up the kiddos and wife and went on a 20km (have to figure out how to change it to miles) ride. It was nice and I don't have the "throttle thumb" I used to get when ridding a 4 wheeler. I think I'm sold on it. Gonna have to customize it a bit with a rear seat and a few other things. After its officially mine I'll put up a few pics.

pigeonfarmboy
07-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Yep for utility they are awesome for sure. The one thing where the RZR falls short is it's tiny bed. I've taken Rhinos on really hardcore off-road trails and they do very well. Enjoy the new toy!

kyleandtavion
07-25-2011, 10:43 AM
I have owned both RZR and Rhino if your looking for all around use trails, work, dunes, cant beat the rhino. If your just looking to go fast then RZR. As for the starting issue sounds like just a tune up or a carburetor rebuild is needed. Im not exactly sure the one I had was fuel injected but that would be my best guess

mazdaparts
07-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Handed over the check a few hours ago. Figured out the km to m switch. It now reads 19XX miles. I'm gonna try some fuel additive, it seems to be getting better the more I run it. Thinking the fuel might have been old and varnished up a bit. It also seems to have a low idle.

mazdaparts
10-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Hate to bring up an old thread but I got some updating to do. I had this thing for about a month and a half and decided to change the oil. Did so using some oil recommended by the rhino forums and some of my own research. After I did it started smoking. After checking all I could from the outside I tore the motor down. It turned out the rings were close to lined up and the oil ring had collasped. After honing and getting everything ready to put back together I had received the wrong ring set (was shipped .50 over sized). I got the shop to overnight the correct ones but that was still a couple of days since I was working on the weekend. Fast forward to present and I just got it reassembled last weekend and have put a few miles on it so far. While it was apart I decided I didn't like the faded green paint. Not being a hunter or a need for a greenish vehicle I changed the color with Krylon fusion paint. Sunbeam/Safety Yellow. Here are some pics of the new color.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/mazdaparts/Rhino/rhinonewcolor.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/mazdaparts/Rhino/16124e18.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/mazdaparts/Rhino/d0e6d9a9.jpg

Smokin Joe
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Hate to bring up an old thread but I got some updating to do. I had this thing for about a month and a half and decided to change the oil. Did so using some oil recommended by the rhino forums and some of my own research. After I did it started smoking. After checking all I could from the outside I tore the motor down. It turned out the rings were close to lined up and the oil ring had collasped. After honing and getting everything ready to put back together I had received the wrong ring set (was shipped .50 over sized). I got the shop to overnight the correct ones but that was still a couple of days since I was working on the weekend. Fast forward to present and I just got it reassembled last weekend and have put a few miles on it so far. While it was apart I decided I didn't like the faded green paint. Not being a hunter or a need for a greenish vehicle I changed the color with Krylon fusion paint. Sunbeam/Safety Yellow. Here are some pics of the new color.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/mazdaparts/Rhino/rhinonewcolor.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/mazdaparts/Rhino/16124e18.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/mazdaparts/Rhino/d0e6d9a9.jpg

Mazdaparts, just my 2 cents. Changing the oil would not collapse the oil ring.
Was the oil over filled? Oil picked up by the PCV system would induce engine smoke.
Anyway, at the cost of our toys, oil analysis is essential. I have my oil checked by a company that sends the sample bottle, return mailing tube and analysis of everything in the fluid including concentrations and possible source. For $20! PM me if anyone wants the info. Joe
They test any fluids.

mazdaparts
11-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Joe, I have used Blackstone in the past for oil sampling. Not sure if that is the guys you use or not but they are good as well. It was using oil before I changed. It wasn't smoking before though. Whatever the problem was it seems to be fixed now that I re-ringed it.

Lil Giants
11-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Looking pretty snazzy, great color choice.

I got a Ranger on order to show up in April, Browning Edition.