PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a New Radio, HELP!!!

Bsorenson79
08-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a 7 or 8 ch. 2.4ghz. radio. I was talking to a one of the guys at my local hobby shop and he told me that if i'm using a Tamiya MFU I have to use the 4 Channel Futaba 4GWD radio. Or it will blew the MFU out. Is this true? I wanna get a 6 or 7 channel radio. I was looking for some suggestions on a radio a can go with.

fhhhstix
08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Well I am going to be honest here your guy at the hobby shop is full of ?!@#. You can use just about any 7 or 8 ch radio with no problem. I use the Spectrum DX7 and DX8 with no problem. There are also a lot of members here that use the Airtronics 8ch. It is all in what you want out of the radio and what you want to spend.

Travis

CustomRCmodels
08-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I agree with all you said there Travis ,
Blew the MFU out ? what the heck did they mean with that ?
No , that’s not true , despite the fact that Tamiya recommends a regular FM R/C system for the MFU use , a lot of us using successfully various versions of 2.4 Giga hz R/C systems ( as Travis mentioned )

But there is one major fact here which should be explained too :
The regular 2.4 or just call it Spektrum system , is a little bit a hassle to use ,
since most of these systems use digital trims , which makes it a little complicated to use all these additional MFU functions you have to activate via different positions of the trim levers , or I should better say inconvenient .
An analog trim-lever can be thrown all the way from one end-point to the other ,
opposite to a digital trim , which takes some time to count up and down .
Plus a digital trim doesn’t give the visual position of your setting , you have to check it on the screen or just remember the setting .

Therefore my personal choice is the converting of conventional FM R/C systems with Spektrum modules .
This keeps the function of the analog trims but transmits on the Spektrum band .
Kind a cool mix between both worlds .
There is a new ( I believe ) 10 channel Spektrum radio out there , Travis and others showed that at the past Indy show , but me personal I don’t know enough about that particular one ( not yet , Lol )
Using the above mentioned option , converting conventional FM R/C systems to Spektrum , you also would be able to use the more in Europe common multi-channel systems .
So far these type R/C systems been a no-no here in the US , because of there different frequencies .
Converting conventional FM R/C systems can be as simple as just replacing the HF module . ( higher grade R/C systems have exchangeable HF modules ) .
But even the more simpler FM transmitters can be easily converted , as long they do have a trainer-port . FM transmitters without the exchangeable HF module , nor a trainer-port
can be converted as well in most cases , but requires a little more in depth “surgery” to get it done .
I use mainly Grauper JR and Robbe Futaba European style transmitters for these conversions , since they give you the true , fully proportional extra channels ,
not like most US offered transmitters which just offer maybe 1 extra fully prop-channel and the rest are just switch channels .
Easy to find , older Futaba transmitters for this type conversation are the 7 channel 7U series , which are even module transmitters , means plug’n play conversion ,
or the 6 channel Skysport based T6XA or T6XA which require a little soldering .
Both of these older style transmitters are computer based transmitters , means with all the nice setup options of endpoint , dual-rates or mixing like today’s fancy R/C systems .

The only Spektrum systems with analog trims I am aware of is the Futaba 4 channel 4YF ,which on the downside doesn’t provide endpoint and other useful adjustments ,
but should work with the Tamiya MFU unit .

So , since I am sure I confused the heck out of everybody now about my analog to Spektrum conversion bla-bla , lets see what the other guys are using

fhhhstix
08-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Willy I will tell you and the others get the digital trims out of your head you don't even need the trim buttons to work the MFU!!!!!!!! Say it with me dual rate yes that is right say it a gain dual rate. All you are doing by moving the trim is giving the stick more throw in that direction. Now get to know your radio and you will find the dual rate switches. Set rate one to 100% and rate two to the highest setting 125-150%. Take the light and flasher function for this example with the trim you have to move the trim one way to activate lights or the other way for flashers. With the flip of the dual rate switch you have the choice to do either one because you have just added extra throw to the stick in both direction and with the flip of a switch you are back to normal. All I am saying here is make it simple for yourself and forget about the digital trims they mean nothing to the MFU.

Travis

CustomRCmodels
08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Willy I will tell you and the others get the digital trims out of your head you don't even need the trim buttons to work the MFU!!!!!!!! Say it with me dual rate yes that is right say it a gain dual rate. All you are doing by moving the trim is giving the stick more throw in that direction. Now get to know your radio and you will find the dual rate switches. Set rate one to 100% and rate two to the highest setting 125-150%. Take the light and flasher function for this example with the trim you have to move the trim one way to activate lights or the other way for flashers. With the flip of the dual rate switch you have the choice to do either one because you have just added extra throw to the stick in both direction and with the flip of a switch you are back to normal. All I am saying here is make it simple for yourself and forget about the digital trims they mean nothing to the MFU.

Travis

Yes you are correct Travis ,
I been using this way of doing it on our MF-tanks .
But most transmitters allow only for 2 axis dual-rates not for all 4 ,
or I am missing here something ?

fhhhstix
08-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Spectrum and most of the other newer radios have 3 axis of dual rate AIL, RUDD, and ELEV which is all you need for the truck MFU. This is assuming you set up the model as suggested in the MFU manual.
Left stick up and down = throttle
left stick left and right = gear shift
right stick up and down = trailer legs
Right stick left and right = steering

Travis

Claus
08-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Does this look like a good deal and good radio for a little big rig?

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-FUTK7004.html

Lil Giants
08-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Do you have the DX10T in your possession right now Travis?

I was told it wouldn't be widely available till Feb '12.

fhhhstix
08-30-2011, 09:28 PM
No but I know a guy who works at Horizon and he let me put my grubby hands on one at Indy and I can't wait to get mine.:D

Travis

Bsorenson79
08-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Well I am going to be honest here your guy at the hobby shop is full of ?!@#. You can use just about any 7 or 8 ch radio with no problem. I use the Spectrum DX7 and DX8 with no problem. There are also a lot of members here that use the Airtronics 8ch. It is all in what you want out of the radio and what you want to spend.

Travis

I got that feeling! It's Hobby Town USA in Secane PA. It was actually the owner who told me that crap. I cought him in a few lies and had several problems with this place in the past. Thank You for helping me out! I try to avoid going to this place at all cost.

CustomRCmodels
08-30-2011, 11:08 PM
I got that feeling! It's Hobby Town USA in Secane PA. It was actually the owner who told me that crap. I cought him in a few lies and had several problems with this place in the past. Thank You for helping me out! I try to avoid going to this place at all cost.

Now this is a thing you need to remember ,
and I am sure every “old-timer” in this hobby will agree with me ,
these types of models are not the regular hobby-store items ,
since they are in a price-range which is to high for the average –Joe ,
therefore hobby-stores in general do not carry these kits nor the accessories ,
nor have the knowledge about this stuff .

Tamiya’s King Hauler was released in 1993 ( if memory serves me right ) ,
it had good responds in Europe , as competition to the already established Wedico line , which at that time was almost unheard of in the US .
It took several years before the semi-trucking hobby found ground in the US .
And even these days , it’s still a new chapter in the R/C car world and with just very few “members” compared to the regular R/C racing which has been around since the late 70’s / early 80’s .
Semi-trucks , tanks and construction-vehicles is a hobby in the US for just a very few selected people they chose to do this .
Therefore , not an everyday’s item , forget the regular hobby-stores .

Thanks to cyberspace these days , this hobby has expanded in just the past 10 years dramatically , but still not even close to the everyday’s R/C items .
Forums like this are your best choice for the “how-to’s” and “where to get it” .
Unfortunately this cyberspace deal has killed a lot of smaller hobby-stores over the years ,that’s why you should use the internet ( forums like this ) to collect the needed info’s and then go to your local hobby-store and tell them what you want.
That a way you support your local business’s , but also get what you want , not what somebody , without the proper knowledge , try’s to sell you .

CustomRCmodels
08-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Does this look like a good deal and good radio for a little big rig?

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-FUTK7004.html

the Airtronics RSD8000 is cheaper , $230,- and even 8 channel

Bsorenson79
08-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Now this is a thing you need to remember ,
and I am sure every “old-timer” in this hobby will agree with me ,
these types of models are not the regular hobby-store items ,
since they are in a price-range which is to high for the average –Joe ,
therefore hobby-stores in general do not carry these kits nor the accessories ,
nor have the knowledge about this stuff .

Tamiya’s King Hauler was released in 1993 ( if memory serves me right ) ,
it had good responds in Europe , as competition to the already established Wedico line , which at that time was almost unheard of in the US .
It took several years before the semi-trucking hobby found ground in the US .
And even these days , it’s still a new chapter in the R/C car world and with just very few “members” compared to the regular R/C racing which has been around since the late 70’s / early 80’s .
Semi-trucks , tanks and construction-vehicles is a hobby in the US for just a very few selected people they chose to do this .
Therefore , not an everyday’s item , forget the regular hobby-stores .

Thanks to cyberspace these days , this hobby has expanded in just the past 10 years dramatically , but still not even close to the everyday’s R/C items .
Forums like this are your best choice for the “how-to’s” and “where to get it” .
Unfortunately this cyberspace deal has killed a lot of smaller hobby-stores over the years ,that’s why you should use the internet ( forums like this ) to collect the needed info’s and then go to your local hobby-store and tell them what you want.
That a way you support your local business’s , but also get what you want , not what somebody , without the proper knowledge , try’s to sell you .
I deffenitly understand what your saying, this guy owns four 1/14 semis.
I feel if he was a good business man,and if he doesn't have the proper knowledge for a question, then he should do the research or just be honest and tell me he is not sure. But the fact that owns several if these trucks just bothers me.

rc_farmer
08-31-2011, 10:50 PM
The rds8000 is a good radio and highly functional. If you want to add more challenging features to ur trk, it has that capability too It is relatively easy to program

Bsorenson79
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
The rds8000 is a good radio and highly functional. If you want to add more challenging features to ur trk, it has that capability too It is relatively easy to program

Thank you! Just showed me my next radio. It's perfect for what I need. And price is also right.