PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Trailer - something different

sparkycuda
09-27-2011, 04:36 PM
This photo seems to fit several categories - so General Discussion it is. The crane is a Grove RTC (rough terrain crane) that has become the trailer itself. I'm told the crane lifts the front and rear brackets while they are bolted to the crane. Then the crane's outriggers lift the unit when the tractor and rear wheel set are aligned and secured.

If you model this, you get a crane, a trailer, and a complete rig all in one!

I've seen transformers and large vessels done this way - just never a crane.

Ken

Smokin Joe
09-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I would love to watch them load and unload!

REEVE2007
09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
We have a crane company (Hatton Crane) that rents space in our yard. They have a neck and dolly to haul their 50 ton R/T crane around. We actually had to lengthen there neck and move the fifth wheel pin forward to be able to back under the neck further so more weight would transfer onto the steer axle to make weight. If anyone ever wants to attempt the build I will take pictures.

woodhog
09-27-2011, 09:22 PM
guess it works similiar to a windmill tower trailer

REEVE2007
09-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Some what...you position the crane to the dolly. Then you use the out riggers to jack the crane up, release the dolly brakes and roll the dolly into position and pin it to the crane. Back the truck into the crane and pin it off also. Then you raise the jacks on the crane and away you go.

guess it works similiar to a windmill tower trailer

Juganought
09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Looks interesting. I'd love to see it built....