PDA

View Full Version : Fergelli linear actuators L12 R.

Espeefan
09-29-2011, 02:40 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this. It could go under the farm machines, construction machines, or semi truck tech, and I figured I'd get the most replies here anyway.

Anyway, I've been looking at these L12R Fergelli linear actuators and was wondering if anyone is using them in their models. I see the specs say even the weakest L12R can move a whole bunch of weight. More then most servos can handle. They now make a actuator that runs on 6 volts, and works with Futaba and HiTec receivers. No servo interface converter necessary.

Anybody running one of these? Really curious to see hear what you guys think of them.

rcguyfarms
09-29-2011, 06:14 AM
These actuators are the most awesome product I have found. I have used five of them in various projects running on 12v thru escs. Still not used the rc versions, but I know Izzy has used that version in his bottom dump trailers. I would not use any less the 150:1 ratio. Your best bet is order direct and the shipping will cost u alot due the added custom fee. Sometimes u can find a US supplier with the ones ur are looking for.

MACK Daddy
09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I am currently using one on Izzy's dump trailers...I got it about 2 days ago and it looks good...I have not put it to the test just yet, but so far so good

Alfy

Espeefan
09-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks Scott. Yes, I was going to order direct, but the duty fees Fergilli charges really add to the shipping costs! It does seem like the best way to get them though.

150:1 seems awfully slow. I was wanting something with a little more speed. I was thinking of steering my tractor with one, but I don't want it to be overly slow to react. But then again, I'm going for the 6 volt RC version, so that I don't need to do anything else except plug it into the receiver. A 12 volt model would probably be twice as fast as a 6 volt model, with the 150:1 ratio.

Alfy, let me know how you like the actuator. Is it the RC version, or just a regular version you are going to run on a ESC?

I really want to know if the RC version self centers when the stick is at neutral, or if it just holds it's last position. I guess they claim the signal switching from negitive to positive changes the direction, and they have a feedback pot, just like a servo, so they operated in a close loop system. Seems perfect for what I want.

Espeefan
09-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Well, I have decided that the L12R actuators are to slow for what I need. I was going to use one for steering on my RC tractor project, but the fact they only run on 6 volts means if I get any stronger actuators, they'll be very slow, handling the steering duties. The strongest 6 volt RC model is the 210:1 version, with ten pounds of force, at 2.5mm/second. I can buy a heavy duty servo with 400 ounces (25 pounds) of torque, that will move faster and be stronger. If that's not enough, I'll double up on them, if I have to.

rcguyfarms
09-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I have a pair of the L12, 210:1, 12v in steering my stieger. They run faster them hydro system I had in it before. Much more power full then a servo and no draw on power from an idling high power servo either.

MACK Daddy
09-30-2011, 01:49 PM
would you guys know if a brushless esc would be able to be used with one of these without burning it up...The ESC is 15 V maxx but the battery i would be using is 7.4.......does that make a difference?

Alfy

Lil Giants
09-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Yes you can use a brushless esc on a brushed motor. It will be the red wire & one of the other two that will connect to the motor.

15v esc -> 7.2v batt is good.

MACK Daddy
09-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks, due to the limitations I have with my Pete build I am forced to used a brushless motor with brushless esc...Didint take into acc the Fergelli actuator

aLYF

fhhhstix
09-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks, due to the limitations I have with my Pete build I am forced to used a brushless motor with brushless esc...Didint take into acc the Fergelli actuator

aLYF

I am guessing you ordered a fergelli that uses a a power source instead of a servo style. Most of us with Izzys trailers are using the servo style so we don't have the extra cost of an ESC to run the Fergellie. But where I am confused here is where the ESC for the truck comes into play here.:confused:
A second ESC would be needed to run the fergellie so it would not have to be a brushless ESC.

Travis

MACK Daddy
09-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I am guessing you ordered a fergelli that uses a a power source instead of a servo style. Most of us with Izzys trailers are using the servo style so we don't have the extra cost of an ESC to run the Fergellie. But where I am confused here is where the ESC for the truck comes into play here.:confused:
A second ESC would be needed to run the fergellie so it would not have to be a brushless ESC.

Travis

Actually it was a servo style that i bought....Just didnt know if the ESC would be too much for it for some reason..never used a brushless esc and wanted to be sure and not take any chances

Alfy

Vanisle
09-30-2011, 09:43 PM
... Your best bet is order direct and the shipping will cost u alot due the added custom fee. Sometimes u can find a US supplier with the ones ur are looking for.

Where are you buying from? If it is the Fergelli in Victoria, BC that is sort of local for me (and also for some others on the Island). I am sure someone here on the Island (myself included) wouldn't mind picking them up for a fellow forum member and sending them by post.

Richard

fhhhstix
09-30-2011, 09:45 PM
No problem Alfy regardless of the battery you use the BEC in the ESC should be between 4.8v and 6v so you should have no problem.

Travis

Izzy
10-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I have usedboth styles of the firgelli - servo and motor style. I have been very pleased with them - they are slower than typical servos. It really comes down to what you are accomplishing - they all have there place.

Btw - I order direct - some places have miss represented the descriptions so check the model numbers when buying......

Chris

Brian in PA
11-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Chris, I was looking at theses servos. Do they have one that plugs right in to the receiver? What size is the smallest one that they make? I looking at these to maybe use for my tailgate latch.

Thanks!

Brian

MACK Daddy
11-08-2011, 09:53 AM
hey Bri

I picked one of these up and they do sell one that connects to the receiver and also stand alone via seperate power supply....I believe the one I have on my bottom dump is the smallest..Chris will probably add some more light ot this

Hope it helps

Alfy