PDA

View Full Version : quick question on stretch length

SuperDutyScaler
10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
ok i gota deal on two frames, Joes Truck shop frame and a Freedy built frame. I used the JTS frame and i really like it, but i just posted pictures in my built thread but i think the truck is too long now? I was thinking of cutting 1 1/2" or 2" out of it but i wanted to ask others on how it looks. So here she is...
http://i54.tinypic.com/21l3as6.jpg

Claus
10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Looks good Mike. Put some tanks on it that are a little longer than stock, if it looks too long to you, that will blend it all together.

BRICKNICK
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Looks good Mike. Put some tanks on it that are a little longer than stock, if it looks too long to you, that will blend it all together.

Correct, i second that. I stretched my kh to 25 inches and i thought she was a lil to long at first, then i put the quarter fenders on and the tanks and it looks 10 times beter.

SuperDutyScaler
10-11-2011, 04:22 PM
from front bumper to rear of frame is right at 27". I have six inches from the rear of the cab to the front of the drives? is this about right? it just seems too long to me now?
http://i54.tinypic.com/2zxnzm8.jpg

Claus
10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
You could always add a headache rack too, that will change the look some.

SuperDutyScaler
10-11-2011, 04:31 PM
truck and 48' stretched trailer for comparison
http://i54.tinypic.com/6gad0j.jpg

SuperDutyScaler
10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
i have to file down the new aluminum tank mounts i got to fit the frame, then i can add the steps and fuel tanks. So hopefully it will look better, i guess im so use to seeing the truck so short from tamiya that it looks funny now to me?

SuperDutyScaler
10-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Correct, i second that. I stretched my kh to 25 inches and i thought she was a lil to long at first, then i put the quarter fenders on and the tanks and it looks 10 times beter.

whats quarter fenders? them chrome mud flaps that go in front of the drive tires right? if so i think im gonna put them on tonight, i have to strip the truck again so i can drill the holes for it on my drill press first.

Claus
10-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Your trailer would look even better with either a spread axle or a third axle.

SuperDutyScaler
10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
in post #4 can you see the two holes right in front of my yellow shock? there for a third axle that joe drilled out on the frame. Luckly they are the same height as the shock holes so i was thinking about using the first hole for the half mud flap, the second hole for the shock and then just drilling new holes for the rear axle mount and cutting the rear of the frame two inches to shorten the truck up alittle? plus it will make building an new driveshaft easier, cus this sucks not be able to run my rig now that its stretched.

SuperDutyScaler
10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Your trailer would look even better with either a spread axle or a third axle.

Really? i stop by the truck stop on the way home after work once or twice a week and i hardly ever see a 48' like that? They are all steel and have the tires close like i have mine. The only spread axles trailers are 53' arched aluminum trailer from what i see?

spudd
10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
i would make it a tri axle if it was me.but i think it looks great as is

BRICKNICK
10-11-2011, 04:53 PM
whats quarter fenders? them chrome mud flaps that go in front of the drive tires right? if so i think im gonna put them on tonight, i have to strip the truck again so i can drill the holes for it on my drill press first.

Yes that is a quarter fender. I say leave the truck as is, it looks good.

SuperDutyScaler
10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Im just gonna add the quarter fenders tonight and my steps and fuel tanks later. That should make it look betterto me

Tamiya Cowboy
10-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Get fuel tanks on it that are 1 inch longer past the back of the sleeper your stretch is real not that long pretty common length.

SuperDutyScaler
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM
thanks guys