PDA

View Full Version : "00" Biddle new truck and construction work area

fhhhstix
10-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Well I cleaned up behind our barn and decided to build my self a place to play. I got the old burn pile tiled up and I squared it off. Now I need to get some pavers for a roads and I should be good. Here are a couple pics of what I have done so far.

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/brokenb4/Truck%20and%20construction%20park/100_1044.jpg

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/brokenb4/Truck%20and%20construction%20park/100_1042.jpg

Travis

woodhog
10-11-2011, 10:09 PM
hey travis ,looks like you need to be shellin corn,not playin in the burn pile:D

rockNmayhem
10-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Great looking area Travis, Now you just need a quarry off to the side to start hauling the heavy machinery.

Tyler

Lil Giants
10-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Pavers??!!! com'on... do I need to come there & show you how to build roads with your equip? :D

FabOne
10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
GIT-R-DONE Travis!! :p We'll be over to play! :D

-Terry

Cossett
10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Pavers!!! Just put some gravel & sand down and that will do the same job or is it more to the point you don't want your show pony trucks to get scratched LOL :D:D

Cheers Tracy

td9clyde
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
OH!!!!!! what a burn!!!! lmao that was great i can bring the terex over and cut you a few roads or wait til spring and then it might be my pan

fhhhstix
10-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Well I guess where u all come from there are no paved roads.:p:D

1: I want it to look nice this is my yard and unfortunately I have neighbors.
2: Not all of my trucks are all wheel drive and I don't want to leave anybody out that wants to play and doesn't have an all wheel drive truck as well.
3: Pavers also give the ability to move the road without digging up the gravel.

There will be plenty of room to build roads in the dirt as the pavers will be outside the construction area. I have plans of building an iron trestle bridge to span one end as well with a spot to dump and since I have the MiG welder and the bridge won't need to be moved once placed I can make it out of steel.

Thanks for looking.
Travis

ihbuilder
10-12-2011, 09:14 PM
"Well I guess where u all come from there are no paved roads."

well I dit say "turn off the paved road to git to mah hous " :p

fhhhstix
05-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Well we tried out the the little patch this weekend an the verdict is our tracked equipment is just doesn't get along with dirt. Three dozers and two track loaders and all were useless before you could discharge one battery.:eek::eek::eek: No mater what you do the tracked equipment is just to small dirt packs in the track and then our done.

Now looking at pics from meats in other parts of the world they are playing in fine sand which will not pack and keep the tracks clean so the can keep going.

Looking at the wheeled dozer that was posted here on the forum I have a real good guess of why he built it and it is a great idea if you want to play in the dirt!!!!!!!!

I will take the ribbing from those who want to give it but I would rather play in the ground up rubber any day!!!!!! I would rather be playing with my equipment than digging dirt out of it and fixing it.:D

I am going to keep the dirt patch for a place to use the loader, farm tractors, and at some point an excavator but for a place to play I will buy my self a piece of carpet and some rubber to play in the garage. Not to mention I don't have to worry about the weather in the garage.:D

Travis

ihbuilder
05-13-2012, 08:13 PM
well now OO how many days of rain did you just have :confused: Now as u add moisture to that there loamy clay you have , your gona get some packing in them there lil tracks . Same thing happens on the real 1's you know :rolleyes:
well you asked for a lil ribbin eh ?:D

fhhhstix
05-13-2012, 08:41 PM
well now OO how many days of rain did you just have :confused: Now as u add moisture to that there loamy clay you have , your gona get some packing in them there lil tracks . Same thing happens on the real 1's you know :rolleyes:
well you asked for a lil ribbin eh ?:D

Nice try but after tilling it up and airing it out it is nothing but dust 3-4 in down. The dirt would not even stick to the blade but it packs like concrete in the tracks, small spaces with no where to go. As for the clay you had better bring your power supply or a truck load of batteries if your going to get down to the clay.:D

Travis

will43209
05-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Hey Travis, I laid down some cold patch. But the grass grew threw it. I'm gonna re-do it. I'm going to lay down newspaper, wet it, then lay the cold patch on top. I haven't had time here lately to do anything. Take it easy. http://pbr1182.photobucket.com/albums/x458/will43209/Cars/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMzExLTAwMDMzLmpwZw.jpg

SmallHaul
05-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Travis, the first few times I ran the tracks on my cable excavator I was disappointed with how easily they would lock up when dirt got in them but, after seeing most tracked equipment have problems with dirt in the tracks I realized these small models just don't have the mass to expel dirt out of the tracks when clogged. That being said though I am just careful running my cable excavator in dirt and only turn sharp on hard packed dirt.

It is harder to operate our miniature equipment in real dirt and that is a challenge that I really enjoy. But...I also enjoy moving rubber around all day and not stressing my equipment. The clean environment of rubber is nice too, I even have one tonka DT that I only haul rubber with. :)

So, I guess my point is that both rubber and real dirt can be fun and having equipment for each is a nice way to go.

will43209
05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Where can you buy the rubber at? Since my layout will be outside, it seems like a good option as far as loads. I was thinking of a rock quarry also. I want to use a material that's pretty much all weather friendly. Real dirt will put a big strain on the loader, and I wanted something that the grass wouldn't grow on. Take it EZ.

fhhhstix
05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Where can you buy the rubber at? Since my layout will be outside, it seems like a good option as far as loads. I was thinking of a rock quarry also. I want to use a material that's pretty much all weather friendly. Real dirt will put a big strain on the loader, and I wanted something that the grass wouldn't grow on. Take it EZ.

I will ask Izzy as there is a place in Ohio that we stopped at and got his on the way to one of the Brookville shows.

Travis

will43209
05-16-2012, 12:57 AM
KOOL!!! Thanks Travis.

doodlebug
05-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Any thought's about mixing in sand and pea gravel or chip's to help break up the soil????

Cheer's, Neil.

fhhhstix
05-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Any thought's about mixing in sand and pea gravel or chip's to help break up the soil????

Cheer's, Neil.

Sand may help but pea gravel would make it worse, it is to big and would just lock up the tracks instantly.

Travis

egronvold
05-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Try spraying teflon spray on the tracks, it really works :)

fhhhstix
05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Try spraying teflon spray on the tracks, it really works :)

I will give it a try and thanks for the tip.:cool:

Travis

fhhhstix
08-26-2012, 01:39 PM
I have given up on the out side area in the dirt due to the unpredictable weather and the strain the dirt puts on the equipment. I now have some outdoor carpet with rubber to play with in the garage. It is a lot easier on the equipment and I can play in all weather conditions. Best part is when I am done playing I just roll the carpet up with the rubber on it and I have the garage back to store the car in.

Here is a video of the play area. I also laid the carpet down over the ramp and base for the demolition building used at Indy which makes a great loading platform for the track loader to load trucks.

http://youtu.be/HLkQNzaVESM

Thanks for looking.
Travis

TRUCKMAKER
08-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Nice vid Travis, looks like you could use a couple more drivers!

Lil Giants
08-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I can sympathize about the unpredictable weather of being outside, but...

and the strain the dirt puts on the equipment.

..for shame Travvy :(

...afraid to get a scratch on you're purty wittle painted shelf Queens??!!!

For shame Travvy! :p

USE 'EM!!!

ihbuilder
08-26-2012, 03:42 PM

USE 'EM!!!

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-044.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html) http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-044.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html) I don't even have the rest of my loader painted and I'm wearing the paint off the bucket . I'm not cheating either by loosening the packed concrete sand with a pick :rolleyes: :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p tires and valves are the only major issues .

fhhhstix
08-26-2012, 08:36 PM

USE 'EM!!!

It has nothing to do with scratching paint I am fine with that. It is the blown motor and ESC from the dirt binding the tracks. I cant afford $150 every time I use them in dirt. I would rather use them in the rubber and get to play with it than put it in the dirt and have to dig out the dirt every 5 min or have it on the bench fixing it.:p:D

Travis

Lil Giants
08-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Can't turn sharp in the dirt! 10-4

Take a foot of travel to move an inch sideways with the dozer. Use a chunk of plywood for a 90° turning point for the track loader. ;)

Izzy
08-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Hey joe - isn't most of your dirt pretty dry? Stuff around Travis sticks to the sprockets better than glue.

The dirt around me isn't any better - I had locked up the 3/8 roller chain once or twice on my home built.

Chris

ihbuilder
08-27-2012, 11:41 PM
yes Chris it has a lot to do with the soil . here Travy can run his stuff like it runs in rubber , I guarantee it . You get into the clay loams you will have more of an issue more so with a higher clay content . Take a sample of you soil moisten it till you get a ball in your hand now work it into a ribbon between your thumb and index finger trying to maintain an .125" thick max . I can guarantee Joe has more clay content then you guys . but joe for the most part is "dry" . On my small excavators IE cat 307 koering 6605 , when working in the high clay soils the clay would pack in the track chains and walk right off at the lest bit of a turn . soil is hard on real machine also comes with the territory . The most important part on a track machine is some give in the tracks ( ability to collapse ) if you do not you will tear something up . Travis something more then the dirt contributed to the motor burn out . I wouldn't give up on the soil just yet .

Edit : I don't think CL is your issue by looking at your county soil survey , you have mostly SiL

Izzy
08-28-2012, 06:23 PM
And spoil and dirt is not scale either. I would bet that scale dirt would be closer to coarse flour or corn meal. Ya think?

Either way - the play area looks great. We've got
- heat
- AC
- shade
- refrigerator
- tunes
- great people

So when's the next meet?

rcguyfarms
08-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I am ready to test out the new pit.

fhhhstix
08-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I am in the garage almost every weekend so just let me know, I am ready.

Travis

Lil Giants
08-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Hey joe - isn't most of your dirt pretty dry?
Chris

You haven't looked my thread in quite while.. I've added a lot of water & I use 'em on the pile outside occasionally too. :p

It's not impossible to play in the clay soil, just need to use some care not to turn too quickly & carve the dirt into the track links.

..anyways, I was just teasing Travvy. Do what works best for you & your stuff. :)