PDA

View Full Version : Beadlock help

scalelover
10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
I have the mil spec 2.2 and mil spec rims from rc4wd and am having troubles.

I've been working on trying to get the beads set on these rims for....too long.... Well anyway I can't get the bead of the tire to stay positioned on the inner ring while I tighten the bolts down. I can get one side to seat but not the other,(inner or outer rim) and once I do get the other side,generally 1/2 to 3/4 will seat correctly but the other part will pull out.

I even made a jig (I cut styrene sheet to fit across front with cutouts allowing access to inner rim bolts, and using a bolt through the axle pin hole to tighten it down) to put even pressure on the rim on both sides while I install the bolts and still no luck. Sections always get pushed out of the bead ring.

Any help or input on something I could try would be awesome. I love the rims and tires just can't pinpoint what I'm doing wrong or what the issue could be.
I don't want to use glue cause that basically defets the purpose of them. I even tried small peices of double sided tape but the tires would not hold because their to much slack for it to try and pull in and hold.

I just noticed too these rims have no vent hole in them and I'm wondering if this is one issue causing the problem I'm having...

Any ideas on adding a vent to them here's a pic of them

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/scalelover/killitary%20project/cde9ec07.jpg

--Dan

9W Monighan
10-13-2011, 11:11 PM
To change the subject, Are those D40 axles you have there? Are they locked or do they have a open differential?

Espeefan
10-14-2011, 04:26 AM
You know, I've had similar problems with other RC4WD beadlock rims. I had a couple sets of 1.9 True Scale beadlocks, and often times the tire beads just didn't seat right, or would try and squeeze out. One set of tires in particular gave me a bunch of headaches. Finally, what I ended up doing was getting the tire bead in place, start tightening the screws on the rings, and then before they were really tight, I'd pull a little of the bead outward, but completely out of the rim channel. Then continue tightening the rings. What I noticed was the channel didn't seem either wide enough, or deep enough for the tire bead to all fit. By pulling the bead out a little tiny bit, I was able to get the tire on without the bead squeezing out on it's own. In fact the tires pretty much looked like they were meant to go on that way.

I don't if that will help you at all, but it might be worth a shot. I've also found some tires just flat out do not fit at all! No matter how hard you try, but if anything, RC4WD tires on RC4WD rims should be an ideal combo, one would think!

doodlebug
10-14-2011, 08:49 PM
???? What about using some dish soap on the bead's, like with full size tire's???
later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

scalelover
10-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Their actually too big for the inner ring so the soap would make it worse allowing more movement of the bead? Or at least that's what I would think

--Dan

Espeefan
10-15-2011, 02:39 PM
It could go either way, I guess. Help the bead slip into the channel easier, or help it squirm out. Any chance you can trim the tire bead, or shave some rubber off it, to make it thinner?

Freddy got the same exact wheel and tire combo together, so I would think there is a way. He's using this combo on a wheel loader project. Maybe ask him if there are any tricks.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=2980

scalelover
10-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Espeefan those are the same tires but different wheels. They look very similar either way im sure they couldnt be that much different. I'll have to shoot him a pm if I can't get these going.

doodlebug
10-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I hate when that happen's:mad::mad::mad:
Pay good money for an item, and it only work's in the ad!

Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

scalelover
10-17-2011, 03:14 AM
To change the subject, Are those D40 axles you have there? Are they locked or do they have a open differential?

Sorry I missed this question, they are locked differentials.

--Dan

JAMMER
10-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Did you try cleaning the tires off to get the mold release agent off they use? I know they tell you to do this before you glue the tires, it does make them seem slippery when I tried to glue a set I bought. Ed

rockNmayhem
10-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey Dan my wheels and military tires should be here today and I'll take a look at my set and see if I'm having the same problem as you and see what I come up with. I hope they seat well for the tractor cuz they're the closest thing I could readily find available.

Tyler

scalelover
10-17-2011, 01:30 PM
On another board I was told to try putting them in freezer for a bit to help shrink them, I tried 1 for an hour in the freezer and It definitely helped. So I put the other 5 in the freezer overnight and will be trying them in a bit. I'll keep you updated

--Dan

rockNmayhem
10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Hey Dan, I got mine and assembled two with no problem at all. The military tires actually had a groove in the back of the bead that held the inner ring perfect and the wheels bolted together with no "squish" at all. I'll take some photo's when I get home and let ya see.

Tyler

scalelover
10-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey Dan, I got mine and assembled two with no problem at all. The military tires actually had a groove in the back of the bead that held the inner ring perfect and the wheels bolted together with no "squish" at all. I'll take some photo's when I get home and let ya see.

Tyler

Please do because I'm still having all kinds of issues. I've got 2 of 6 done and the others are still in the freezer!!!lol

--Dan