PDA

View Full Version : Odd sight on a semi cab: super-singles all round?

WhiteWolf McBride
11-18-2011, 11:49 PM
YEA...

Sadly I couldn't get a pic as I was driving, and couldn't get the cam to config fast enough as the cab crossed my path. I remember it was a Canadian trucking company, white cab with lettering, but instead of dualies on the two aft semi axles, it has solitary supersingles instead of inside/outside singles!

I know the Military is going this way on some of their 2.5t, 5t, 7t and 10t trucks... but I'd NEVER seen a civvie rig done with them on the back end.

Yea yea, the dumpers and cement trucks have the supersingles on both front axles, but they still have dualies out back.

Anyone got pics of a Semi with supersingles all around?

WhiteWolf

Tamiya Cowboy
11-19-2011, 12:04 AM
TMC trucking in the USA runs them on many of there freight trucks not to uncommon in the USA but they still look goofy..

Brian in PA
11-19-2011, 12:27 AM
I have seen them around here also. they do look kinda weird. I guess there are some advantages though. I know at least one disadvantage, if you get a flat on an axle your dead in the water, at least if you had the duals still on you could limp it to a tire shop.

Brian

Espeefan
11-19-2011, 12:57 AM
I see these a lot, but it really depends on the trucking company. I was just talking to a driver today at work, for Long Haul Trucking. The Pete he was driving had super singles on the drive axles, and on the curtain side trailer. Seems when some companies go this route, they really do embrace the tires for everything, not just the trucks. I'm starting to see these pop up more and more in my area. I think it's cool. Something different and unique. From the side, you really can't tell if they are singles or duals.

A32Limited
11-19-2011, 02:16 AM
I've been seeing these more often lately. Typically they're either on dump trucks, or Freightliner Cascadias.

rcguyfarms
11-19-2011, 05:44 AM
one of my wedico trucks runs on super singles all around.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/rcguy_18/100_2755.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/rcguy_18/100_2759.jpg

mazdaparts
11-19-2011, 10:55 PM
I just saw a truck pulling a tanker today with super singles on truck and trailer.

Car5858
11-20-2011, 11:47 AM
This seems to be a growing trend here in Northwest Indiana. I see more construction and Altom chemical haulers are starting to switch over to the supersingles. I wonder if the tolls are reduced for a supersingle tire. If so this is a good reason to make the change in this area.

Brian in PA
11-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Tolls are by the weight or axle. A super single tire has to carry the same weight as a set of duals. by axle The most you can legally have is 18,000# per axle so each set of duals is carrying 9,000# per set.

Brian

pugs
11-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Biggest thing I remember about SS from when I worked at a trucking company was that a set of duals on a truck was 400lbs lighter than duals. Which meant an extra 400lbs of cargo they could haul. I never saw that place run SS on fronts, just drives and trailers. I seem to remember they were a few hundred $ less per truck as well, which in a company that had over 2k trucks starts adding up quick.

Most of the truckers I talked to didn't like them, little bit or rain or snow and they could plane real bad. If they lost one on the road, #1 you couldn't limp to next town #2 at the time not many tire shops carried them so wound up waiting for replacement. Had a grain truck at the farm the other day with SS on, he couldn't get anywhere, where as the dual tire trucks could drive right where needed.

Car5858
11-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Ahaaa that makes perfect sence, Thanks Brian and Pugs.

DieselKid
11-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Maybe it's odd for some of you to see them all the way around including steers but it isn't when you live within such close proximity to the state of MI. **** anymore you're almost seeing more supers utilized than standard duals!......lots of tankers and grain haulers in this area run them because of the weight savings...and with commodities like that every little bit counts! Worked for a fleet a few years back when super singles were just becoming the trend and discovered using some pallet scales at the warehouse out back that average weight savings on a tandem axle config is around 600 lb. when switching from steel duals to super singles mounted on an aluminum rim!

-Alex

Bsorenson79
11-20-2011, 10:50 PM
They are all around the Philly area. For some reasons I see them a lot on tanker companies. All of the Sunoco tankers run them. I think as time goes we're gonna see the s/s become a more common sight.