PDA

View Full Version : machine shop

ihbuilder
11-21-2011, 10:40 PM
check this shop out just for building ship engines :eek::eek: you'll have to scroll down the page top see the pics .

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons

Brian in PA
11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Nice find Steve. You can tell that was awhile ago. I didnt see a single pair of safety glasses!:eek::eek:

Brian

Lil Giants
11-21-2011, 11:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing Brian while looking at those humongous chips! :eek:

doodlebug
11-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Thank's for sharing this! I'd sure like to have one of those Cincinnati horizontal mill's.

Later, Neil.

Espeefan
11-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Very impressive! I like how the photos kind of show the process of making the crankshaft, starting with a raw slab of metal, being rough cut with a torch! At first it looked like a gaint roller chain link or something!

pugs
11-22-2011, 10:40 AM
I didn't see a single CNC machine.. Is amazing what was done before computers

Espeefan
11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Indeed! Seems like with the aid of computers these days, we are able to create some superior parts, but it almost dumbs down the trade, because it becomes easier.

Back in those days, it almost seems like people were building just as incredible machines, structures, buildings, ect, with a lot less technology, and I think that's amazing. I don't think we've got anything on these guys from the older era. They did just as much, with less, and look how everything built back then is still around. That stuff was built to last. Today, it's more of a throw away world.

ihbuilder
11-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Indeed! Seems like with the aid of computers these days, we are able to create some superior parts, but it almost dumbs down the trade, because it becomes easier.

Back in those days, it almost seems like people were building just as incredible machines, structures, buildings, ect, with a lot less technology, and I think that's amazing. I don't think we've got anything on these guys from the older era. They did just as much, with less, and look how everything built back then is still around. That stuff was built to last. Today, it's more of a throw away world.

true Nate , but look at all the ppl it takes that cnc replaces . with cnc , 1 man can run a entire block of machines . With the VMC I got I can set up to run the secound op on my hubs while I cut the first op on the lathe . I can set up a long program like a trailer frame start and go to bed .

modelman
11-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Looking at the size of those chips I don't think safety glasses would help! They need a "nascar style full face helmet":D

Smokin Joe
11-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for showing this. The color and clarity of the pictures (enhanced or not) allows us to see machines and men building monster parts using cutting edge technology for the time.
I have my father's machinist book from the Penna. RR when he worked for them after WWll. Take the CNC out and no big surprise, the art of making parts has changed very little.

Joe

WhiteWolf McBride
11-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Wish I could get the family albums with all my grandpa's pics from the Sydney Steel Mill. Michael R. Campbell (my paternal grandpa) ran it during WW2, and when Princess Lizzy went over in the Early 50's, she thanked my grandpa. Got a pic of it, and its in this National Film board clip, but toward the end:
http://www.nfb.ca/film/royal_journey

The high shot of the machining bay reminds me of the shot from League of Extraordinary Men, when they look down into the bay where the tanks are being made, 'cept this shot is to the right, the film-shot is to the left.

And yea... no safety gear... just coveralls, and ~sometimes~ gloves. Then again, with the world going all PC and litigation-happy, you have secrretaries suing for paper cuts... *sigh*

Pretty soon, we won't have to machine things, we'll be programming nanites to grow lattice-metals... but probably not in our lifetimes. Our childrens, sure.