PDA

View Full Version : Question about construction of my Knight Hauler...

Bill 832
11-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi fellas! Newer member, got my first Knight Hauler, and have the servos, radio, everything but the Multi Function Unit, which I plan to get (when I have more money!). The question is, because I can't wait to start the kit, it appears that I could go through the chassis assembly steps (through about step 28) without having to take it back apart when I get the mfu. Am I right? Thanks in advance, and I gotta tell you guys, this is the best forum I have found so far.

glorydays24
11-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Yas you can go ahead and assemble the frame. A word of advice though, drill a hole on each end of the crossmembers so you can put the wires through.
That' i'm doing and a lot of others have done. It will look neat and tidy.:D:D:D

Big John

Bill 832
11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Awesome thank you....was gonna kill me if I couldn't at least START the truck now. I assume you drill the holes in all the members, right?

fhhhstix
11-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Go ahead and put it all together and have fun with the truck, it is not that much work to put the MFU in later. Basically all you will have to do is pull the cab, front bumper, and tail lights which is only 12 screws. I have put 5 MFU,s in and only one was installed during the build. Two knight Haulers a Globe Liner and a King Hauler all got them after the trucks were built.

Travis

Bill 832
11-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks. Man, I thought my Tamiya CR01 had a lotta crews!

fhhhstix
11-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks. Man, I thought my Tamiya CR01 had a lotta crews!

In my opinion the CR01 is harder to put together than the semi trucks.:D

Travis

Cossett
11-23-2011, 11:44 PM
There is nothing stopping you building the truck out of the box that way you see where all the parts go and what clearances they have in different places and you see the different ways you can run the wiring, the roof is big enough to hide the small speaker box and the MFU sits nice behind the drivers seat and a peice of styrene onto the back MFU creates a wall hiding the wires....
Or instead of drill holes in the kit crossmembers you can buy nice aluminum crossmember on ebay that are pre drilled http://www.ebay.com/itm/AL-MIDDLE-CHASSIS-MOUNT-TAMIYA-GLOBE-LINER-FORD-AEROMAX-/110781206411?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19cb130f8b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLOY-R-CHASSIS-MOUNT-TAMIYA-GLOBE-LINER-FORD-AEROMAX-/180745464052?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1544e8f4
Just thought I would menton the alu parts as it give you other options instead of drilling the plastic cross menbers

Cheers Tracy

Bill 832
11-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Thank you very much, I was hoping that there were options on the mfu so I wouldn't have to scrap the interior. Got the cross members drilled already, so I'll probably use those, but I appreciate the info about the alum. ones. Now gotta get my shocks blasted and paint them. I can't believe that they went through all the trouble to make the truck realistic, and of all the colors to pick.........PINK!!!!!!!!!!

REV73
11-28-2011, 05:56 AM
I thought the same thing about the pink shocks, what the heck were they thinking...of course this is a company that felt it necessary to build a second version of both the Hornet, and the Grasshopper, so I guess it's not the first questionable decision that Tamiya made...

Bill 832
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
And I wound up buying a Hornet, Fast Attack, Clodbuster, and Subaru Brat, cause I had them all at one time or another when I was growing up! It may have been a questianable decision, but they got my money out of the deal. Finally got the shocks painted blue, so I can deal with that. Now if I could only decide on a paint job......:)