PDA

View Full Version : car battery big dozer

jimkidmotorsports
12-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Im building a big dozer and want the weight of a car battery and the capacity any one tryed this yet thanks in advance

Izzy
12-10-2011, 11:02 AM
some guys use car battieries to run the modesl like escavators if they generally not roving around. smaller lawnmower batteries might be useful since they are a bit smaller.

an issues that will agrevate is that cars run on higher amperage than our kits - so a car battery has good amperage storage but not so good at keeping the voltage high when multiple motors attached.

therefore - you might need to run your RC electronics off of a traditional power source - motors will drop the voltage in a lawnmower battery too far and cause issues. due to this try not to use speed controls with BEC this might back feed the system .....
I like to run motor controllers - robot guys use these so they can run 24V power sytems on their 'saws of death' whil still using a low voltage RC system to control it. Check them out here
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-TD-RCE220.html

The nice thing about your iidea is the added weight. many of us are adding lead and stuff to get traction whereas your idea is based around weight.

Izzy

Espeefan
12-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Well if the dozer is big enough, a car sized battery would probably fit just fine. But instead of a car battery, you might want to think about running a deep cycle marine battery, like those that run trolling motors. They can be discharged a lot more. Up to 80% of their capacity, where as car batteries are not really meant for that deep of a discharge, on a continuous basis.

jimkidmotorsports
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
thanks guys sounds good the biggest problem i see whith dozers is no traction and you cant move any mass im using a rubber track from a snow blower with big lugs not real like but should have awsome bite

doodlebug
12-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Anybody seen this? honda snow blower with electric drive. http://world.honda.com/news/2005/p051102.html Hope you get some idea's from this.
It otta be a real fun project! How about some picture's.
Cheer's, Neil.

jimkidmotorsports
12-11-2011, 07:54 AM
those are what im using i made the drive wheels smaller diamiter for scale look i will post pics of the project