PDA

View Full Version : Need info on track drive motors

crusher
03-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi, I am starting a scratch build of a Cat 330b 1:14 scale, I am ready to order track drive motors, I have no idea what size, make etc. to purchase, I have been looking on the Pololu site. I want geared motors to keep the speed down to be scale looking. Any help or suggestions would be a big help.
Thanks
Terry

pumptech
03-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Hi, I am starting a scratch build of a Cat 330b 1:14 scale, I am ready to order track drive motors, I have no idea what size, make etc. to purchase, I have been looking on the Pololu site. I want geared motors to keep the speed down to be scale looking. Any help or suggestions would be a big help.
Thanks
Terry

Hey Terry ,good to here that your starting your build,good luck with it.
Do you have any idea what the overall wieght will be of the model ,will it be built from all steel.Would give us a idea of how much torque you will need.I would say the most torque you can get from a 12volt gearmotor.
Here's one from robotmarket place for example ,its showing 370 oz of torque at 12 volts .
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-B231.html

RCP57
03-26-2012, 04:09 PM
The ones I use in my 1/10th scale stuff are 17rpm and 277oz in torque. I think they might be a little large looking for your scale(540 motor)but they have plenty of power in my cat 955 and it is 20lbs. I get them from the robot shop.

Reg

crusher
03-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replies, I expect it will be fairly heavy, but I can't even guess at this stage, it will be built from steel. I am looking at one on servocity, 20 rpm with 375 oz in. That seems to be close to what r/c logger used on his excavator.
Terry