PDA

View Full Version : Servanaut Items for King Hauler

Hotwheels
01-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Hello, I Would appreciate all input about what specific items I need to purchase to get started with a Servanaut System. What I have come up with so far is SMX module, Laut 45 (4ohm speaker). This used King Hauler I bought off Craigslist came equipped with Novak Rooster Reversible esc. Team Novak was great product 20yrs ago when I was racing 1/10 Team Associated 10L pan car's, buggies, etc. Anyway if I need to change it please tell me I have some catching up to do. If I need to buy M20+ esc. from Servanaut would like to know that also. This will probably be my only Semi build so I want to do it right, (If I can avoid the addiction) take my time. Can I salvage any of my lighting system, it is the first generation Tamiya light and backup kit? I purchased last week a new Spectrum DX8 because of recommendations from my son and other's on this site. So your opinions are most appreciated and yes very happy with the DX8. What I want is a system as I saw on this site from Young Gun and his black Pete. However if I can salvage any of it and get rid of the manual switches on the back of the cab and replace with a switch that can work off the Spektrum DX8 AR8000 receiver would be great. Looking forward to getting the electrical system the way I want it so I can get on with the fun stuff, "Customizing".

Hotwheels
01-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Craigslist Special, of all places I found it on CL in my hometown in Va, where I lived 30 yrs ago had it shipped to South Carolina. http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/Hotwhels1/TOSHIBALOU/2013-01-06_01-45-16_979.jpg

Hotwheels
01-06-2013, 02:42 AM
Guy I bought it from one of his friends estate sale along withhttp://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/Hotwhels1/TOSHIBALOU/2013-01-06_01-46-39_996.jpg other items.

Hotwheels
01-06-2013, 02:50 AM
I do know from the guy I bought it from that his friend originally bought it from the same Hobby Shop where I hung out in the 1960's.
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/Hotwhels1/TOSHIBALOU/2013-01-06_01-44-41_361.jpg

Hotwheels
01-06-2013, 02:54 AM
Nothing Fancy here, all stock for now.
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/Hotwhels1/TOSHIBALOU/2013-01-04_12-30-41_192.jpg

Hotwheels
01-06-2013, 03:00 AM
Having built a lot of R/C car's in years past I can say the previous owner did a good job on the original build.;)http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/Hotwhels1/TOSHIBALOU/2013-01-06_01-33-11_199.jpg

rcman
01-06-2013, 03:11 AM
nice looking rig! looks well taken care of. I like the color too. reminds me of mine, with the old school light kit lol. In the process of filling the old light holes and repainting it!.

Hotwheels
01-06-2013, 03:21 AM
I feel I got a good deal at $600.00, that included foam packing the entire truck and shipping from VA. to SC. That was for tractor, trailer and electronics futaba S148's. Novak Rooster, futaba 4 channel receiver and an old Futaba Magnum Jr 2 channel tx.

Hotwheels
01-06-2013, 03:29 AM
This will definitely get a repaint. The color is nice, just not slick smooth shine. The paint work is what I really enjoy doing. Lot's of wet sanding and buffing to get that slick deep reflective finish.
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/Hotwhels1/TOSHIBALOU/2013-01-06_01-37-16_734.jpg

Tamiya Cowboy
01-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Nice find for sure... The novak all thou i don't like them my self it will be just fine you cant make that or any remote run them switches on the back of the cab from the remote with out a ton of major work and a lot of know how. Have fun and good luck getting the big rig bug..

Hotwheels
01-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Called Ric today at Garden Trucking, the SMX is on back order but said he should have a shipment from Servonaut soon. He does include a speaker with the $275.00 price so I went ahead and placed my order. I follow what you are saying about the speed control and light functions. My next upgrade will be the M20+ as you suggest. Thanks for all the tips. By the way would a 8.4v 5100 7 cell NIMH pack be a good power supply for the King Haulers? If so going to Hobby Town in a.m. to pick one up
Lou

SonoranWraith
01-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I have the S20 and like it a lot. I would also get the M20+ :). I run a 3s lipo pack. I love lipo and it isn't that much different than NiMH just careful maintenance like any high performance product. ;)

Hotwheels
01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Well I thought about what you were saying and went back to Garden Trucking and ordered the M20+ speed control also. You are right I have got the bug.

dabears
01-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Called Ric today at Garden Trucking, the SMX is on back order but said he should have a shipment from Servonaut soon. He does include a speaker with the $275.00 price so I went ahead and placed my order. I follow what you are saying about the speed control and light functions. My next upgrade will be the M20+ as you suggest. Thanks for all the tips. By the way would a 8.4v 5100 7 cell NIMH pack be a good power supply for the King Haulers? If so going to Hobby Town in a.m. to pick one up
Lou

For $300 at Toy cube you could of bought a MFU which is one unit that does lights and sound as well as esc.. Never messed with a servonout somelike them some dont.

Hotwheels
01-08-2013, 08:58 PM
I know what you are saying, that servanaut system is expensive. What I liked about it though was the turbo whine in the background. As far as the lights go the M20+ is supposed to handle those functions according to Ric. I did hate the price tag though. I also like the way the throttle system works with the M20+. If I am understanding correctly when you are throttling forward then pull back on the stick it stops rather than go in to reverse if you pass center (neutral) regardless what rate of throttle is being applied. Then when you pull stick back again it backs up. Forward function works the same. Since the DX8 radio does not have spring centering neutral on throttle I can see where it may be tricky finding neutral if a sudden stop is necessary. I think it may work better for me. I believe I have purchased all the expensive items I need. I want to get all the electrical and mechanical bugs worked out then tear down for repaint, possibly go the KW or Pete route with grill and reconfiguring headlights accordingly or a custom no name chop top channeled body drop fender. Also considering frame stretch, which looks easy enough. Lot's of idea's I am kicking around. Hope Dr. gives me release tomorrow and I can get back to my home in Virginia so I can get in my shop and start disassembly.

fhhhstix
01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
My personal take regarding the Servonaut unit. IMO the sound qualtiy is not on par with the Tam. MFU. Though one thing that does give the unit a bit more appeal is of the turbo whine upon acceleration. However my personal opinion with regards to the turbo sound is that it sounds almost a bit "toy-ish" compared to the real thing. Nothing against the unit itself and to the people who use it but IMO the Tam. MFU has a nice sound quality, has light features, and a better price.

Oh yeah and I believe the Serovaut SMX unit can be tweaked and modified a little with regards to the sound. If I am not mistaken you can tweak it to eliminate the turbo whine and also make it a more suitable sound for use with construction equipment.

I agree I like the sound of the MFU in my trucks and the Servonaut in my equipment. I am just not a fan of the servonaut in a truck but some are and it is just a personal preference.

Yes you can turn the turbo sound up or down and off in the SMX as well as adjusting the engine type of sound as well.

Travis

Trucker_Jo
01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
You sir got an amazing deal. I have been looking on craigslist for a kh for 6 months in the 3 surrounding states because I have nothing better to do and have had no luck :D :D