PDA

View Full Version : cuttin aluminum on wood grade power tools NO NO

ihbuilder
01-21-2013, 05:20 AM
I use to cut all my stock on my compound slide miter saw up till this past Saturday :o . even clamped with some wd 40 and clamped , the sucker grabbed broke the fence and just about took my index finger . I don't need any sympathy , just warning those that might think like I did " I'm gettin over so push off buyin the right tool :rolleyes: " Now to get that $$$$$$ band saw with coolant system :rolleyes:

Acadieman
01-21-2013, 05:27 AM
Good to know!
I tend to be cheap and get myself in trouble.

woodhog
01-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Don't feel bad I do the same crazy things. Then looks back and think how I or someone else could have been hurt. Definetly got to think about the little ones around.

Mama Sue
01-21-2013, 06:00 AM
we can all learn from this, thanks for sharing...

susan

Snochaser
01-21-2013, 06:23 AM
I've had similar experiences. I bought a Freud blade that cuts non ferrous metals for my miter box. It cost me $130 though. Does much better, way smoother and safe.

Ben

wingnut163
01-21-2013, 09:57 AM
i have a wood 2 wheel band saw. i went to a sight and bought some metal blades 20td at a good price. they weld it to your size needs. i'll try to find the sight.

doodlebug
01-21-2013, 06:54 PM
I use antifreeze in my big band saw, dont have to worry about it freezing.
And it's free to boot. Down side, it will contaminate welds!
Cheer's, Neil.

Acadieman
01-22-2013, 04:04 AM
I use antifreeze in my big band saw, dont have to worry about it freezing.
And it's free to boot. Down side, it will contaminate welds!
Cheer's, Neil.

Wear gloves as well. We used antifreeze in our machine shop, and our machinist got severe skin infections. The stuff is nasty.

doodlebug
01-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Wear gloves as well. We used antifreeze in our machine shop, and our machinist got severe skin infections. The stuff is nasty.

Haven't had that occur yet, but like to wash up often! Tried soluble oil, froze solid:-(
Cheers, Neil.

9W Monighan
01-22-2013, 07:13 AM
You must have held it wrong or the wrong type blade. You can even cut steel with a chop saw but blade won't last long. Just look at the air clamps from all the mistakes:mad: I've been cutting thin aluminum channels with cheap Delta chop saws for over 32yrs. I had one break a casting once. I have several big saws for cutting metal and for most of my notching I use one of my 5 Delta Rockwell table saws. The only modification to the table saws are a steel table insert to accommodate the smaller diameter rip blades I use.
I also cut architectural bronze extrusions on all of my saws. Only problem is the chips really hurt so you have to cover up hands neck and face.

kerst
01-22-2013, 11:30 AM
I use the bandsaw in the wood shop occasionally for cutting AL and even brass and it works fine if done carefully. the biggest problem is the heat. Because the blade is going way too fast for cutting metal the heat production is tremendous.

Kerst