PDA

View Full Version : How to prep for packing and shipping?

Stuff
03-02-2013, 07:00 AM
So say you have a truck or a trailer or other piece of equipment of that size. What is the best way to prep them for shipping and then how do you do so?

Just a cardboard box and wrap the item in a layer or two of bubble wrap?
double box it? (had one arrive torn open before)
tape the crap out of the box?
blocks under vehicle and tie vehicle frame to bottom of box like toy packaging?

Looking for best and safest way to ship! What is you're thoughts guys??

WhiteWolf McBride
03-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Shipping Priority #1?

NO Loose Peanuts. Put 'em in bags, be they loosely packed shopping bags, dollar-store ziplocs, or whatever, just don't out 'em loose in my box! I'll pay for the dollar store ziplocs if I have to (to give the sender packing material) Use them like those pay-for air-pac bags the couriers sell. You can even over-wrap the kit in a very large shopping bag, just ask for a supersize one at Walfart or wherever. In a pinch, a garbage bag will do (I prefer clear ones so Customs dun havta open 'em up!)

Put ANY loose nuts/bolts/other items in one ziploc, and then in another. Why? If the box is punctured, the parts don't dribble out! And two layers beats one, at a penny a bag. Even sommat as large as tires should be bagged, if you can.

Put any major parts in at least one layer of air-pac/bubble-wrap. Thats why I always keep any decent amount I receive. Again, it will protect the model if the box is punctured.

And lastly, if you really don't trust Customs, put a printed note JUST inside the box to the effect: " This box was carefully packed by the sender, if you're inspecting it, please have the courtesy to repack it as well so contents are not damaged. " (had Customs cost me hundreds in lost parts when the box was not repacked/resealed, and contents fell out)

And for those of you with the delusion that sending something by courier (FedEx/UPS/DHL/whatever) makes it any safer and easier to claim insurance, think TWICE. You pay many times more for service that generally only ~costs~ you more, and gives you nothing else (unless its FAST service, and even USPS/CanadaPost does that)

Bottom line: I want a neat, safe package, as I'd like to ~receive~ it. If I suspect the sender could use a little coaching, I send it. I've even researched how to dis-assemble a kit to help the sender dismantle it for safe packing, (THAT task saved me hundreds of dollars, and in ~spite~ of UPS handling!)

WhiteWolf
- loving his old-school food heat-sealer/vaccuum-packer; ain't lost any parts in transit FROM Woofie-land yet (has lost a few ~whole~ shipments though)

scalelover
03-02-2013, 09:54 AM
When it comes to my higher end stuff I usually add a few extra items I the packages:

1. Instead of double boxing I cut pads of cardboard and place in box to create a second inner wall for strength. Leave a bit of room towards top of box to create a separate compartment for any additional bags of nuts bolts items etc.

2. I will then put a lining of either pink or blue foam board (insulation) to help pad and also create the correct size opening for the product. I also will cut grooves in bottom section to add small cross sections to go around wheels and axles to keep it from moving. Be sure to leave room at top again.,

3. Once main package is in box. Ill use soft FOAM peanuts (white),not the standard ones (pink), as they form better and don't scratch any surfaces etc like the regular ones do. I'm always sure to get them under truck also fill with enough that it does not shift or move.. This will require a bit of shaking squeezing etc to be sure they pack in there. This scares some people as they are worried it will damage their goods--- trust me it will go through 30 times that hel* after it leaves your possession, no matter what shipper you use.

4. Once filled I will put foam board on top then cardboard again. This closes off truck and creates a shelf/compartment for any additional items going with it. Once all other stuff is in I again fill with foam and loose bagging if neede to fill it and add another layer of cardboard on top to close off box.

5. Now I close it up tape shut with standard packing tape. Then I will add hardened corner supports ( available at any shipping store) to brace box and add support for falls flips drops etc etc. once these are on I will then tape it with nylon shipping tape which does not tea like standard shipping tape, it also is usable as a security measure as you can see if it has been opened, was torn, etc etc .

Hope this helps, We ship a lot of different packages at my shop with fragile stuff, to heavy stuff etc so I picked up a lot of pointers from there, and I've yet to have any damaged or broken deliveries. I've had people say I overpack but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

--Dan

Stuff
03-02-2013, 01:50 PM
hmm i like the ideas! maybe i could even use layered cardboard on the bottom to create a cradle to hold axles etc in place during shipping.