PDA

View Full Version : New Work Shop For Me!!!

rockNmayhem
03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Well I've been wanting and needing more room for quite a while and just haven't taken the time to get serious about making that happen until last week when I got fed up with trying to work on two projects at once and decided there just wasn't enough room to build.

That being said I decided to start measuring out a section in the back of our storage room and found out it would more than double my current space and give me plenty of room to have all the tools I need and use regularly in one general location. So on to the design stages I went and got most everything figured out what I was planning to build and made a trip to the local Menards to pick up what I needed.

Anyways I spent all day yesterday with the girlfriend building my new workbenches and setting up the room and finished caping them off today and put a few tools in the room to see how it looked. I am very pleased with all the new found space I'm so anxious to get back to working in the new area. Although I have a little more to do before I can fully move in such as run the electrical still, put up the shelves and move my pegboard setup over from the other room. I also need to put a few shelves under parts of the work bench but it started getting late enough tonight I decided to call it a day.

Well here are some pics of my most recent rainy Saturday-Sunday weekend warrior project. All that hard work sure pays off in the end to have more space for all the projects going on. :p

Here are a few pics of what I had been working in for the past several years.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130227_234633_438_zps3ee506ea.jpg

I had also just build this small work bench to put my saws and drill press on two weeks ago out of some leftover lumber from another project. This helped but didn't quite cut it.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130228_225748_366_zps956a9c50.jpg

And now here is what my new work room started out as all cleaned up and some extra storage stuff removed from the back of the room.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130307_190553_857_zps99625cc0.jpg

It then quickly progressed yesterday into this wonderful new work area.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130309_160852_042_zps41c26e70.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130309_160831_000_zpsdb1ff040.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130310_192256_182_zpsc126259d.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130310_163305_524_zps8dedf932.jpg

Now adding some tools it's starting to fill up quickly.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130310_192213_740_zpsc828eda1.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130310_192238_107_zps3d6b3384.jpg

Everything fits quite nicely with plenty of work room around each one. It also makes my lathe look extremely small all by itself on the side work bench but it will be nice to have more working room.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130310_195211_766_zps976f829b.jpg

Well those are the pics I have for now of the room as it sits for the night. I have to go pick up some more shelving material for the walls so I can get it all up and then I'll move my pegboard over and start laying the rest of the electrical so I can start moving into my new work space. :D

I will have some more updates tomorrow evening but for now it's time to sit back and relax and pop a cold one and enjoy the outcome of my long weekend.

Tyler

Bigrigger
03-10-2013, 07:15 PM
That is one sweet workbench! There will be plenty of room for working in there! What will become of your old work area?

WhiteWolf McBride
03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Tyler,

Makes me oh-so-envious of people who have the space... and some decent tools as well!

You using bare wood tabletops? You might try a tip I've used for years to strengthen & protect the wood: thinned epoxy. Its as cheap as urethane, but ~much~ stronger, and easier than fibreglassing 'em.

I know I mentioned it elsewhere, but here goes: get some two-part epoxy, like HobyPoxy, preferrably 45 minute set, and mix equal parts as directed. Then you add the secret ingredient - Klenk's Epoxy Thinner. With this you can take the thicker epoxy down to paint thickness (or even a bit thinner), and apply with a brush or roller to your tabletop. Let it dry for at least 24-48h, then sand and re-apply. First coat seals the wood, second coat protects it. You can even buy epoxy-paints for models, if you want to color the tabletop. Black Baron is one name I seem to remember...

Between the Hobypoxy and Klenks, its cheaper than any other finish, and any gouges can be easily touched up with a re-coat!

Just be careful to add the Klenks ~slowly~ to the mixed epoxy, as it doesn't take very much to thin the epoxy down. I can't give you estimates, as I've not mixed any in a number of years, and never needed to quote amounts. If the weather keeps warm, I may be soon, to seal my two 4' boat hulls, and the deck for my flatbed trailer.

WhiteWolf

rockNmayhem
03-10-2013, 07:41 PM
That is one sweet workbench! There will be plenty of room for working in there! What will become of your old work area?

Thanks for the compliments on the benches. The old work area is where we will move the fridge and deep freeze in to and also use some of it to store the christmas trees and decorations.

Tyler,

Makes me oh-so-envious of people who have the space... and some decent tools as well!

You using bare wood tabletops? You might try a tip I've used for years to strengthen & protect the wood: thinned epoxy. Its as cheap as urethane, but ~much~ stronger, and easier than fibreglassing 'em.

I know I mentioned it elsewhere, but here goes: get some two-part epoxy, like HobyPoxy, preferrably 45 minute set, and mix equal parts as directed. Then you add the secret ingredient - Klenk's Epoxy Thinner. With this you can take the thicker epoxy down to paint thickness (or even a bit thinner), and apply with a brush or roller to your tabletop. Let it dry for at least 24-48h, then sand and re-apply. First coat seals the wood, second coat protects it. You can even buy epoxy-paints for models, if you want to color the tabletop. Black Baron is one name I seem to remember...

Between the Hobypoxy and Klenks, its cheaper than any other finish, and any gouges can be easily touched up with a re-coat!

Just be careful to add the Klenks ~slowly~ to the mixed epoxy, as it doesn't take very much to thin the epoxy down. I can't give you estimates, as I've not mixed any in a number of years, and never needed to quote amounts. If the weather keeps warm, I may be soon, to seal my two 4' boat hulls, and the deck for my flatbed trailer.

WhiteWolf

Thanks for that bit of information as I've never heard of that. I am for right now leaving the benches raw material and possibly gonna cover them in laminate that I can get from a local hardware store as leftovers for dirt cheap. All I have to do is cut it to the size I need and I'll be good to go. They get all kinds of shapes and sizes and I can usually get a 4x8 sheet in about any color that I want for around $10. That is a really cheap and durable top that I can deal with. I'm thinking I may go with white so I can find my screws on it easier than the metal top that I have been on. Its a big toss up between white and black though.

Thanks,
Tyler

Mama Sue
03-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Looks amazing...I too envy those who have space...lol..:) Let the work/fun begin

Susan

tc1cat
03-11-2013, 04:18 AM
Area looks very promising! I can only wish that my shop looked that clean:eek:

Another tip for you- make sure that your work benches go completely down to the floor. Any little gap and you know where that dropped nut or bolt is going to go:D And it will always be the only 1 you have:eek::eek:

rockNmayhem
03-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Looks amazing...I too envy those who have space...lol..:) Let the work/fun begin

Susan

Thank ya ma'am. I plan to get a few more projects finished in the next several weeks before the local show that I'm trying to get going and this should definitely help. I can already see the bench covered now though with the loader on one end the tractor in the middle and trying to finish my dump trailer as well.

So many projects so little time. :eek:

Tyler

rockNmayhem
03-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Area looks very promising! I can only wish that my shop looked that clean:eek:

Another tip for you- make sure that your work benches go completely down to the floor. Any little gap and you know where that dropped nut or bolt is going to go:D And it will always be the only 1 you have:eek::eek:

Lynn I absolutely know what you mean. Even the smallest gap that a flea wouldn't even think about going in that one crucial little screw or nut will fall in and never return. I have a small gap at the very end towards where the sump pump drains but I plan on making a facial board to take care of that before long.

Thanks again for the compliments and I hope to keep the bench kinda clean for atleast a little while.:rolleyes:

Tyler

Supermario
03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
The new set up looks sweet Tyler! :cool:
I'd love to have the old workshop space:eek::(:)
What you have for tooling is exactly all I want and would need. Nice, very nice.

I came up with a way to minimize all them darn nuts and bolts hitting the floor. I have a roll of that stuff called Grip Stop. It's used in kitchen cupboards, that thin rubber weave looking stuff. I lay a chunk of that down on the bench and if I drop a screw it won't bounce and stays in the material. Works good.

Mario

glorydays24
03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Very nice Tyler, now maybe you can come over and help me get lined out. LOL!!!:rolleyes::p:D;):eek:

Big John

plow jockey
03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Great looking work shop. Real nice assortment of tools to get the job done. Congrats on the new set up.

rockNmayhem
03-11-2013, 06:01 PM
The new set up looks sweet Tyler! :cool:
I'd love to have the old workshop space:eek::(:)
What you have for tooling is exactly all I want and would need. Nice, very nice.

I came up with a way to minimize all them darn nuts and bolts hitting the floor. I have a roll of that stuff called Grip Stop. It's used in kitchen cupboards, that thin rubber weave looking stuff. I lay a chunk of that down on the bench and if I drop a screw it won't bounce and stays in the material. Works good.

Mario

Thanks Mario. I have some of that material I may just try on the top of my work area. I do like having a completely smooth surface so I'll have to see how I like it.

I do have several other big tools like my large material bandsaw, chop saws and welder outside but these are my primary tools that I use and I think they should get me along just fine in the new area.

I'm already starting to fill it up fast and finding out more room still would be nice but as always the more the merrier, where does one stop? :p

Great looking work shop. Real nice assortment of tools to get the job done. Congrats on the new set up.

Thanks for the compliments and the new workshop is coming together slowly but surely. I hope to be fully moved in by next weekend if I can that way I can start back on my builds. :rolleyes:

Tyler

rockNmayhem
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Very nice Tyler, now maybe you can come over and help me get lined out. LOL!!!:rolleyes::p:D;):eek:

Big John

Thanks for the compliment John. There was a lot of work into this weekend project but if you're up for it we can tackle anything. :D

Tyler

rockNmayhem
03-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Well started getting the benches buttoned up today and also got some shelving up. I still need to add my lower shelves under the work benches and make the new drawer for under the lathe but that will follow in the next few days. I started moving some stuff over this evening and am quickly finding out I have way more "junk" stashed everywhere than I know what to do with. :eek:

Anyways here are some pics of todays progress of getting the shelves up, the back boards around the bench and hanging the peg board. :D

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130311_160850_848_zpsea1cf4e0.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130311_165208_035_zps0d97d5c9.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130311_165227_772_zps9959e3cc.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130311_165237_574_zpsa72b452d.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130311_182519_158_zpsd9229107.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130311_184910_674_zps9fda19ff.jpg

It sure doesn't take long to start filling up the space with much when half of the area is tools. :eek:

I hope to have more updates throughout the week and hopefully have a project started again next week. :D

Tyler

Kingcam2
03-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Hi Tyler

your new workshop is starting to look good, keep up the good work.

From Cameron.

Espeefan
03-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Very nice Tyler. Someday I hope I'll have a nice little workshop like that too. Right now I've just got messy bench, and a table for my mini-mill to sit on, with some cheap plastic shelves for storing paints, parts, and a few models.

How do you like your Little Machine Shop lathe? I have the mini mill they sell, and should probably buy the lathe they offer to go with my mill!

Lil Giants
03-12-2013, 12:55 AM
So your last work area & the new one are both in the basement? I would keep the tools you don't use very often in your old space, have your drill press in your new area, maybe the lathe too. Leave as much room in the new area for work space for 2 or 3 projects going at the same time, because you're always going to be waiting on a part or inspiration to finish a project or two. ;)

rockNmayhem
03-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Hi Tyler

your new workshop is starting to look good, keep up the good work.

From Cameron.

Thanks Cameron I plan to have it completed this week.

Tyler

rockNmayhem
03-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Very nice Tyler. Someday I hope I'll have a nice little workshop like that too. Right now I've just got messy bench, and a table for my mini-mill to sit on, with some cheap plastic shelves for storing paints, parts, and a few models.

How do you like your Little Machine Shop lathe? I have the mini mill they sell, and should probably buy the lathe they offer to go with my mill!

Hey Nathan thanks for the compliments. I absolutely love my lathe from them and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have the brushless hi torque setup and it is unstopable. I have taken off .075" before in one pass and it just keeps going. Pretty stout for its size.

I will eventually be getting their mill but I have to save a little more before I make that plunge quite yet. I'm also thinking about going cnc but am still unsure of the price yet if it's worth it at the moment.

Tyler

rockNmayhem
03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
So your last work area & the new one are both in the basement? I would keep the tools you don't use very often in your old space, have your drill press in your new area, maybe the lathe too. Leave as much room in the new area for work space for 2 or 3 projects going at the same time, because you're always going to be waiting on a part or inspiration to finish a project or two. ;)

Hey Joe they are both in the basement just around the corner from each other but all the stuff I moved out of the back where my shop is now is going back in the little cubby hole where my other benches were so I don't have enough room for everything back there as well.

It's quite a bummer as I would love to have all that extra work top space but I have to sacrifice some space to keep storage.

I'm also thinking of making an adition to the end of my main work bench that will create a 90* closest to the microwave area as that will be gone and I can pick up about another 6' of work surface if I feel the need for it down the road.

Decisions, decisions.

Tyler

Espeefan
03-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Hey Nathan thanks for the compliments. I absolutely love my lathe from them and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have the brushless hi torque setup and it is unstopable. I have taken off .075" before in one pass and it just keeps going. Pretty stout for its size.

I will eventually be getting their mill but I have to save a little more before I make that plunge quite yet. I'm also thinking about going cnc but am still unsure of the price yet if it's worth it at the moment.

Tyler

Thanks for the info, Tyler! I see you have the digital readouts on the carriage and crossfeed as well. I would definitely want that. I believe that's standard, on the brushless model. Very good! You should definitly get the high torque mini mill. I love mine. How was your lathe, right out of the crate? Did you have to do any adjustments or set-up, to get it accurate and making chips? My mill took some considerable work to set-up how I wanted it, but it's the best investment I've made so far, in this hobby, as far as tools and equipment goes.

rockNmayhem
03-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info, Tyler! I see you have the digital readouts on the carriage and crossfeed as well. I would definitely want that. I believe that's standard, on the brushless model. Very good! You should definitly get the high torque mini mill. I love mine. How was your lathe, right out of the crate? Did you have to do any adjustments or set-up, to get it accurate and making chips? My mill took some considerable work to set-up how I wanted it, but it's the best investment I've made so far, in this hobby, as far as tools and equipment goes.

Nathan the brushless is all that is available now and it is well worth it. As for setup there wasn't much other than cleaning the carrage and setting my zero's. The crate was very sturdy and everything came ready to go. I added the digital read outs later on and absolutely love them, they are worth their weight when running multiple pieces of the same dimensions.

Tyler

rockNmayhem
03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Well as with any project or build there is always a first design then there are versions 1.5 and so on and so forth so why not have the same when building a new work room?

Anyways I got to thinking today that I just felt like I didn't have enough usable room that I'd like to have so I rearranged a little bit this evening and came up with design phase #2. I just didn't like not having any shelf or work bench space next to me that I was so accustomed to so I moved my work bench that I had the lathe on over next to the long leg of the bench where I would be building and decided that is what I was looking for.

I really like having the bench next to me and it almost doubles the work top area from only being 8ft long to now having another 6ft section next to it allowing me plenty of work top space and extra under counter storage next to me as well.

I also plan on putting several more shelves on the left side of the peg board over the new work bench to maximize all the available space I have. The shelves are only going to be 2ft wide but they will work good to keep hardware and odds and ends parts for projects on.

There are still a few things I need to add to it such as shelves underneath and put a back to it but hopefully I can tinker with that later this week after I get time to run to the hardware store. I also need to extend the top of the bench and fill in the 2ft void but that will make a nice little cubby hole underneath to store other stuff.

Anyways here are some new pics of what design stage #2 looks like so far.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130312_192909_642_zpsbbc9c6be.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130312_192925_144_zps289adb4c.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130312_193014_940_zpse47574b1.jpg

And as you can see it didn't take long to start filling shelves up with what little bit I already had.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130312_193032_980_zps2aa884fb.jpg

I'll keep updated with the new changes and hopefully there aren't too many more as I'm ready to start building my newest projects and get a few more things finished up soon.

Thanks for all the compliments guys and gals,

Tyler

Supermario
03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Looking good Tyler :cool:
If I can't have a cool basement workshop of my own , at least I can admire yours and pretend for a minute? :o;):p

I know everyone has a different comfort or flow to their workspace and not sure what you think but.... It's hard to tell in the pics but, do you have enough room to fit an island type bench in the center of the room? It's always nice to have a center work area for the task at hand, gives you 360 access to it and you are surrounded by all the tools and equipment you need.As a mechanic, I'm real fussy bout that at work.... Everything in its place :eek:.... Ya, I'be been told I'm OCD. Lol.

To control my behaviour, when I get home. I leave dirty clothes laying around, garbage all over, leave the seat up...... Lol JK.:rolleyes:

Mario

Mama Sue
03-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Just to clarify...He doesn't leave the seat up...lol...:p:);)

The set up looks real good. I'm sure you can start your next project any time. You will probably modify your space as needed..

Susan

rockNmayhem
03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Well spent the better part of the evening after work and dinner trying to finish up the back room. I got the last part of the work bench built last night and made sure everything was were I needed it so I could paint today.

I had some leftover paint from the garage when it was painted so I opted to use it for a sealer and to brighten up the work area.

After a couple hours of painting, the first coat is done. I will have to hit it again tomorrow afternoon to get some of the bleed through spots from ink on the wood but it seemed to work out pretty good for what I needed. Anyways here are some progress pics from tonights work.

Started out with some blue paint and turned it into white. :D

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130315_200326_502_zpsafff5f43.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130315_211426_424_zps509182c0.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130315_211502_574_zps5e7477ca.jpg

And luckily no more brown board staring me in the face. I love the clean look of the white and it really helped to lighten the work area up a ton.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130315_211447_908_zpsf12a3824.jpg

Thanks for looking and watching my fun project and moving. I hope to have it all done this weekend so I can start on a new project next week just for the up coming show at the end of next month. :D

Tyler

Supermario
03-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Looks like an area a guy could spend endless hours working in:D:cool:

Nevermind the Island bench idea , you got it looking pretty sweet Tyler :cool:
Thanks for sharing, you have reminded me that project #1 this summer is install a furnace in my garage and have a year round shop to work in!

Mario

sandfarmer
03-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Good looking work area!

Espeefan
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Looks a lot nicer then my work area! Of course mine is always a disaster! When I can't find the parts or tools I set down on my workbench, then I try to clean it up some. :D

rockNmayhem
03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Looks a lot nicer then my work area! Of course mine is always a disaster! When I can't find the parts or tools I set down on my workbench, then I try to clean it up some. :D

Nathan that is the way my workbench normally sits with as small as it was and once you realize you're missing that one last little screw to complete something you don't realize it was that bad.

Hopefully with all the room and space for everything it should make it much nicer to have all the work area. :rolleyes:

Tyler

rockNmayhem
03-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Well I did spend most of my sunday afternoon finishing off a few things for the work benches and cleaning up the old room so that I could move some storage into it.

It didn't take long though to realize that even with all the extra space it does fill up quicker than one would think. I got rid of some extra stuff and spread some other things out making the room feel like it shrank in a matter of a few hours.

Anyways I about have the new work room together and ready to start working on projects again. All I really have left to do is grab a few more shelf braces and brackets for under the benches to finish them off and then run my wiring for a couple of new receptacles and put in another breaker just for the work space. Shouldn't take too long this week to get it together and up and running.

Here are a few pics of how it sits at the end of tonight. As I said it didn't take long to start filling up spaces.

A clean old work room like this.....

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130317_145354_920_zpsae21098a.jpg

Leads to a much larger new work room looking like this.......

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130317_154955_853_zps38d9542f.jpg

And after several hours of sorting and going through stuff I am getting closer to having work tops again. :D

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/RockNmayhem_2006/New%20Work%20Room/IMG_20130317_200433_983_zpsdc65c48f.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments on the new room and the motivation to keep going. This simple weekend project sure turned out to take longer than anticipated but it is worth all the effort to have more building space.

Tyler

Mama Sue
03-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Looks good

rcman
03-18-2013, 12:58 AM
always great to get more work space! Im going to redo my area this spring too! hopefully get rid of some things I dont need anymore and finish my work area.