PDA

View Full Version : Ready to order my first truck

Stretch379
03-13-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm ready to start ordering my first truck to build. I wondered if anyone could recommend a top of the line radio.The budget is not a problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Semi Crazy
03-13-2013, 06:59 PM
I'd watch what I say about budget. I prefer Futaba. I've been using them form more than 20 years. They all still work, although I probably don't use the older ones. They are "stored" in my collection of....stuff. Save that unlimited budget for truck parts!

Thenewguy
03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm running the spectrum dx6i and I like it it runs about $200 bucks. And I have every channel used. Think about what all you want to use with the controller so you know how many channels to get

Stuff
03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
6 channel 2.4ghz dual stick w/receiver. $23.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9042

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/HK-T6XV2-M1(2).jpg

Espeefan
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm also a Futaba guy. I run the 12FG radios. Plenty of channels, and very easy to program. You can do just about anything with this radio, including assigning channels to any toggle, dial, slider, or stick. It doesn't come cheap, but radio gear is an invsetment, if you intend to stick with this hobby for a while!

I know a lot guys here are Spektrum fans. I've never had one, but check them out too.

Stretch379
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
I have my King Hauler here. I have a Futaba 10CG radio to go with it. I need to know what servos I need to get started. I've read some on them but get confused a little:confused:. I want some good quality parts to put in my truck. I have also been order some custom parts for my pride and joy;). Can't wait to start putting this rig together.
Still haven't decided on what trailer I want yet. Well yea, I want them all..:D.
Thanks, Barry

Izzy
04-06-2013, 09:04 PM
I am a spectrum guy - didn't expect to ever need more than 6 channels but just upgraded to the dx10. A whole lot of choices and seemingly endless possibilities in programming.

U say ask yourself this - do you want one radio to run all - or one radio per truck? Do you want to let a buddy run one of your fleet while you watch or while you run another?

Stretch379
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
I'll probably just run all from this one radio. I also need a good suggestion for a battery for the truck. I plan on have extra lights on the truck and trailer when I get that far.

Semi Crazy
04-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I felt at one time I could get away with one radio and actually had all of my trucks using the one Futaba 7CAP, I have since moved up to three radios. When my favorite little girl reached probably ten years old she wanted to run one of my trucks too. She turned out to be a really great operator too. Not so much with the 18 wheelers but she can run the 10 wheeler almost flawlessly. Now at 12 years old she operates that truck very slowly and accurately. I would have no trouble turning her loose with that truck and other owners using their trucks. My worry would be the other owners! All is good at my house!

dabears
04-06-2013, 11:50 PM
I agree with Izzy! DX8 or better... I started on a Dx5 and out grew it in a few months and ive almost outgrown the DX8 already... Holds 30 truck memory and worth the money

BRICKNICK
04-07-2013, 09:32 AM
I agree with Izzy! DX8 or better... I started on a Dx5 and out grew it in a few months and ive almost outgrown the DX8 already... Holds 30 truck memory and worth the money

Are the DX6-8 equipped with self centering sticks?

woodhog
04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
The Dx8 can be self centering from inside the radio. It tells how to do it in the instruction manual. I bought a Dx18 and thought for sure it could be done the same way but it has to be sent back to horizon to be done.They have top notch service for sure:D

Clint307
04-10-2013, 12:21 AM
I use a speedpack 5500 mah 7.4v lipo in my train and can go around the block 3 times pulling two tankers before having to worry about power to pull. Just a suggestion! I'm sure others have better ideas.

civic83
04-10-2013, 08:33 AM
6 channel 2.4ghz dual stick w/receiver. $23.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9042

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/HK-T6XV2-M1(2).jpg

ive used a couple of these, very basic but not bad!