PDA

View Full Version : is this a good deal?

Stuff
04-03-2013, 12:10 AM
got a guy wanting to sell me a knight hauler w/ MFU & box trailer that is lit up and has motorized jacks. also running the futaba 4wd attack radio. He is asking $700 before shipping... now it is nearly sight unseen. seen the books showing the all the goodies are in it, seen the truck and trailer in one photo and seen the radio in another. I googled the images and there is no others showing up so its not a 'grab photo from internet and try to scam it' thing.

but its 1000 miles away, no clue what running gear or time on the truck/trailer and if it even works or not.

based on seeing one photo of the truck head on with trailer and seeing the books of all the goodies installed, would you jump on it? what would you say max for shipping costs would be?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549030_437553652995654_466064077_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392699_437553642995655_979655835_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/562351_437553649662321_1498867765_n.jpg

dabears
04-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Sounds like a good deal!

doodlebug
04-03-2013, 01:38 AM
So whose house is it close to, for an inspection?
Cheers, Neil.

Radio Control Trucker
04-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Sight unseen is always taking a chance. If you can have a trusted member of the forum inspect it for you, it would be better.

$700 is a chunk of cash. The investment in parts alone would have cost at least $1,200.
I'd be careful about this purchase, but it's a steal if it's for real.

- RCT

kingbob
04-03-2013, 04:30 AM
I'd ask for a couple of specific pics.
Ie: a profile of the truck by itself, another of the trailer showing the rear or something.

If they cant supply you those specific pics, then might be too good to be true.

That being said, at least the pics of the manuals and radio seem to be taken on the same carpet. But thats no guarantee.

Radio Control Trucker
04-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Does the Seller have any feedback that you can look at?? Where is the item located, a local member might be able to look at it for you and inform you of its validity.

I also agree that you should ask for more photos; profile of tractor (both sides), back of tractor, profile of trailer (both sides), and back of trailer. It is not outrageous to ask as many questions as possible before purchase. It is only after the buy that you have either limited or no options.

I bought a Knight Hauler once from a respected hobby shop that promised a MFU with it and when it arrived w/o it I asked why. They replied that it was not included. I informed them that the salesman had e-mailed me that it was in-fact included in the sale. After 2 months of arguing, they finally returned my money and took the item back. I would have preferred the MFU, but it was not to be.

- RCT

Stuff
04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
ive been asking but the guy hasnt been back to the persons house to ask about it. sounds like an estate thing so not too sure about it. not sure on his rep yet. ill try to get in direct contact with the owner of it rather then him.

its located out in Ontario's lower part.

just that it has the mfu in a knight hauler w/ trailer and the futaba attack... yeah so tempting.

dabears
04-03-2013, 10:40 PM
My thought is either way you really cant screw these trucks up that bad (ok some people can) but as an investment its worth it. If its legit then you god a huge deal!! If not then what another $100 and its working right and looking good..... so even if shipping is $100 (guessing) then you would be $900 into a $1300 truck... worse he could have done is blow a gear in the trans or axle, so tops $35 for the axle gear and $75 for new trans gears... Id say go for it

kingbob
04-04-2013, 04:03 AM
Yeah that "havent been over there to take pics" is the excuse that makes you wonder.

WhiteWolf McBride
04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Stuffy,

Payment method? Given the iffy nature of this, I'd insist on PayPal unless he can provide known references from one of the forums.

As for Southern Ontario, there are a bunch of the RC tankers down that way that might be willing to assist you for an 'inspection'...

And if its posted, as you're both within Canada, make sure its registered and insured.

And for what he's supposedly selling, yea, its worth it, but get more pics.

civic83
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
If its near Brantford, I may be able to check for you ( don't worry, i'm not looking to steal it from you ) pm me if its within an hour or so from here and if your interested