PDA

View Full Version : first truck build

oldwestrnwear
05-18-2013, 03:49 PM
got my Tamiya king hauler today
befor I even start this build I need to know if the RC Channel narrowed will fit in it.
I want to build a 4 axle heavy haul to pull my D11T dozer it will weigh about 40-50lbs when built. (weight is a guess)

thanks
perry

Stuff
05-18-2013, 04:51 PM
i have seen little kids ride the truck and trailers. the axles will give first

sassgrunt
05-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Great minds must think alike, Perry - I'm building an 8x8 Globeliner, and these axles work just fine for it. Using stock Tamiya rims & tires, a stock rear axle is 7-1/8" wide. Mounting the same rims/tires on an RC Channel (narrow) axle, it is 7-3/8" wide. (Only 1/8" wider on either side, so it doesn't look any different).

The stock Tamiya (non-driven) front axle is 6-7/8" wide. I wasn't sure what rims/tires to use with the RC Channel (narrow) front axle. I tried mounting stock Tamiya tires on just the inner rim from the duals, (because that gives you the hex), and that was 6-1/2" wide. Then I tried using the Tamiya Super Single tires and hex-rims from the reefer trailer, and that was 7-5/8" wide. That was just a little too wide for me, and I also didn't like the look of the Super Single rim on the front.

So, here's what I ended up doing, (and I don't know how to do pictures, so I'll describe it as best I can). I used a front rim from the European trucks that Tamiya makes (the one that has the raised, flat hub). I cut away everything except the outer tire channel, and glued that to one of the inner dual rims. That gave me a rim that was wide enough to fit the Super Single tire, and when I mounted it to the axle, it was 7" wide. It is just the right width, and looks great.

I borrowed the idea for fitting Super Single wheels to the stock Tamiya dual wheels - you cut away 2/3 from the back of the inner dual rim, which leaves just the outer groove bolted to the stock outer rim. Now you can fit Super Single tires to it, and it fits the stock trailer axles - but now with a more American look to it. -Mike

oldwestrnwear
05-18-2013, 08:23 PM
sassgrunt. thank you sir I will order them next week.

cant wait to get into this

sassgrunt
05-18-2013, 09:11 PM
No problem. I learn so much from the folks on this board; I'm just happy to be able to give something back.

sassgrunt
05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm having trouble getting the 'edit' function to work, sio I'll post another reply. It's been a couple of years since I assembled my chassis, so I decided to confirm what parts I used before you go out and spend money on them. I bought the front & rear axle set for the F350 (narrow) as is being sold here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-F-350-Hilux-Tundra-Narrow-width-axle-kit-/151031865919?pt=RC_Modellbau&hash=item232a33623f#ht_4714wt_1161

The front axle measure 166mm wide at the outside of the molded-on hexes. Then I bought his two-axle set of semi truck axles, which are 140mm wide. But, they only give you one pass-through axle, and for an 8x8 you'll need two. I bought another single rear semi truck axle, and switched the smooth rear plate on it for the pinion gear plate off the rear F350 axle. That left me only with a leftover rear F350 axle with no pinion gear plate; which I figured might come in handy if I need to replace the differential gears in one of the axles.

I bought my axles piecemeal, but if you're going to buy all of them at once, maybe he would be willing to make you up a set of only what you need, if you ask him. -Mike

doodlebug
05-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Hey Mike try this link for posting picture's, http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=4057&highlight=post+pictures
Cheer's, Neil.

oldwestrnwear
05-18-2013, 10:45 PM
sassgrunt. thanks so very much very helpful now I have a much better idea of what im in for and looking very much forward to the challenge
I have to watch myself or im gona over load with ideas and information from this forum

thanks
perry