PDA

View Full Version : What Battery Are You Running?

bhaagjr
07-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I am just about finished with my first build. I decided to go with the Tamiya Aeromax. I would post some pictures, but Im not in the same class as you guys and girls. My question is what battery are you running in your trucks to be able to get a long run time?
Thanks for the replys
Buddy

cosworth34677
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
im' useing two types. for more power i run a 4000mh 3s lipo. its a small soft case battery for airplanes, but i can get a 2hour runtime out of it. thats longer then i me in run time i get bored by then and go home.
i also use a 4000mh 2s lipo for cars and trucks hard case pack. and i get about 1 hour 45 min out that. i use that for my dump bed because it's esc is rated for 7.4v.

both power the truck and dump bed and stuff at the same time. i also use two 3s 2200mh in my excavator. but that a hard to explain setup, i hpoe that helps.

bhaagjr
07-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks a lot for the information. I went with the 4200mah, lipo battery. I did have to buy a new charger to go with it. Boy are they proud of that battery! The hobby shop told me to make sure to set the speed controler up for a lipo battery. Something about shutting down at 3 volts. I have looked at the instruction sheet for the Tamiya Multi-Function unit, and I can not find any thing about setting it up for this battery. Does any one know about this setting? I dont know if Im over looing it, or it just does not have it. If it does not have it what are you using?
Thanks for the help!!

cosworth34677
07-12-2013, 10:32 AM
well you can find a lipo watcher or alarm that will let you know when the battery gets to low.

Lmackattack
07-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I have a few trucks..i run 6 cell 5000ma and 7 cell 3500ma with 55 and 65 turn motors I can get about 35-40 min pulling my flat bed with a few bricks as a load...about 35-40lbs total weight. Bob tail I get about an hour...

Radio Control Trucker
07-12-2013, 07:30 PM
The best info to understand Li-Po batteries is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yJ-QyHiiqUI

- RCT

Espeefan
07-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the information. I went with the 4200mah, lipo battery. I did have to buy a new charger to go with it. Boy are they proud of that battery! The hobby shop told me to make sure to set the speed controler up for a lipo battery. Something about shutting down at 3 volts. I have looked at the instruction sheet for the Tamiya Multi-Function unit, and I can not find any thing about setting it up for this battery. Does any one know about this setting? I dont know if Im over looing it, or it just does not have it. If it does not have it what are you using?
Thanks for the help!!

The Tamiya ESC may not have a setting for LiPo batteries. Most of the better speed controllers do. Check the manual to see if it does, and how to switch to LiPo mode.

As mentioned, you can also get yourself a LiPo cut-off, or monitor, if your ESC doesn't have a built in cut-off. The cut-off is a little device that monitors the battery voltage and shuts down the ESC, once the battery voltage drops to 3.3-3.2 volts per cell. If you can set the voltage yourself, setting the cut-off to 3.4-3.5 volts, is much safer. Some guys go as high as 3.7 volts. The idea is to never discharge your LiPo pack below 80% capacity. Your battery charger should tell you how much it's putting back in, when you charge them up. Adjust accordingly.

For example, here is a great little monitor.... there are plenty of others to choose from.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXADUK&P=ML

Stuff
07-14-2013, 06:03 PM
for my axial scx10 im considering a 8000mah venom 2s.. $70~