PDA

View Full Version : Anybody play with old Class 8 trucks?

Espeefan
07-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi guys. I'm just curious if any of you ever get the itch to buy an old class 8 tractor truck, just to restore or play with? I don't know why, but I've got this itch. I've always had it, but I find myself looking on E-Bay, looking at truckpaper.com, and Craig's List for old classic trucks. I can't really imagine the amount of time and money it would take to restore one, but for some dumb reason I like the idea.

For instance I found a 1972 Peterbilt 359 the other day, in my state, with a Caterpillar 1693, 13 speed transmission, and air ride. It's listed for $7,000, or best offer. I have no idea on the truck's condition. No mileage, or history posted. One photo in the listing just shows the truck is all in one piece yet, and it looks like an old work truck. I guess I'm just really curious if anyone has ever taken on a project like this. I read online that it could cost $32K just to rebuild a Cat 1693 engine, out of frame, and that kind of freaked me out, but I have no idea if that is an accurate number or not. I can only imagine what paint, body work, polished bumpers, visors, stacks, and rims would cost. This truck already has a full set of aluminum rims, and brand new tires in the rear, but still.

The logical side of me says I'd never get my money back out of it, but maybe that's not the point. I just think it would be cool, though I would have no need to own a truck like that, and I feel it would just be an expensive toy. Maybe I'm crazy....thoughts?

woodhog
07-20-2013, 10:40 PM
I have a 85 Mack superliner that i have been restoring sitting on 307 in wheelbase. I use it on a daily basis hauling chips to the paper mill . I dont know why i haven't bought something newer but its mine and gets compliments all the time. I had a fleet of 7 including 3 heavy haul trucks and have sold down to just my truck a one trailer. Trucks and oil and antifreeze run through my body. :D

Radio Control Trucker
07-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Nate, I think you're asking the wrong people :eek:

I used to have a 5-gang set of Jacobsen mowers,

http://image.pennswoods.net/910/2354161/20130619122926c9b4b4f3164b8e600a3b0b72848ee38e.reg ular.jpeg
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTw0afZm3-uNi3sSD4TooSpn_SYyQISqb2vS1u3G8D6pGkF8tPBhttp://images1.hellotrade.com/data2/JC/AG/HTVENDOR-968293/polypikka14_collector-250x250.jpg

a Ransome 360D Fairway unit, a Range-ball Collector, and several
other pieces of golf course equipment in my backyard
(not to mention over 6000 golf balls) :jaw:
My father and I were going to open a driving range at one point in time, it never happened. :(
Dad talked me into selling off some of the equipment and just giving most of it away.

My advise is to just do whatever makes you happy. If you can afford to restore the truck over a period of time and you think it would be something that you want to do.... DO IT. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

I always wanted to be a truck-driver. I ran into many obstacles.. friends, family and financial. But I took time away from friends & family, used my money wisely to get what I wanted, and got my CDL. I was a Long Haul Driver for almost 3 years before I lost my driving to a brain-tumor.

I can't drive a car, much-less a commercial truck, but at least I WAS a truck-driver. No one can take that from me. Don't let anyone take your dreams from you Nate.

Buy, build, & be happy (even if it's just a replica) :) :D :) :D :)

- RCT

Dieselchopper
07-21-2013, 01:39 PM
I am in the works of buying a 83 cab over freightliner. Going to convert it to a toy hauler / motor home.

ihbuilder
07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi guys. I'm just curious if any of you ever get the itch to buy an old class 8 tractor truck, just to restore or play with? I don't know why, but I've got this itch. I've always had it, but I find myself looking on E-Bay, looking at truckpaper.com, and Craig's List for old classic trucks. I can't really imagine the amount of time and money it would take to restore one, but for some dumb reason I like the idea.

For instance I found a 1972 Peterbilt 359 the other day, in my state, with a Caterpillar 1693, 13 speed transmission, and air ride. It's listed for $7,000, or best offer. I have no idea on the truck's condition. No mileage, or history posted. One photo in the listing just shows the truck is all in one piece yet, and it looks like an old work truck. I guess I'm just really curious if anyone has ever taken on a project like this. I read online that it could cost $32K just to rebuild a Cat 1693 engine, out of frame, and that kind of freaked me out, but I have no idea if that is an accurate number or not. I can only imagine what paint, body work, polished bumpers, visors, stacks, and rims would cost. This truck already has a full set of aluminum rims, and brand new tires in the rear, but still.

The logical side of me says I'd never get my money back out of it, but maybe that's not the point. I just think it would be cool, though I would have no need to own a truck like that, and I feel it would just be an expensive toy. Maybe I'm crazy....thoughts?

:eek::jaw::eek:WHAT:eek::jaw::eek:
stick with the scale trucks it's cheaper ;) I've rebuilt trucks for work most my life . fun but gets old after awhile :( your choice Nate . I still have 1 left my old 75 2070 fleetstar that was rebuilt from the frame up .

BRICKNICK
07-21-2013, 07:04 PM
My brother and I huge motor heads, and we've both decided in kind of a rememberence to our dad we would restore a Pete 359 extended hood, instead of tour typical bel air or vete or even a classic mustang. So we will be doing a peterbilt, since diesel and oil flows in our gains as well. We both grew up working on my fathers tractors and spent every weekend and summer vacation on the road . I'm sure you'll never get your Money back out of it, but usually no one recovers there money from a restoration project.

1985 kenworth
07-21-2013, 10:24 PM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j436/1985kenworth/2013-07-16_21-00-15_799_zps0200de3e.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/1985kenworth/media/2013-07-16_21-00-15_799_zps0200de3e.jpg.html)this is my baby its a 1985 kenworth w900b (true)flattop sitting on a 250"wb.i have the original 3406b cat motor in it and i got the inframe done 4 yrs ago which cost me well over $20,000.it was done by a trusted caterpillar diesel engine/tractor plant near me and this truck is a working show truck in progress and to tell you the truth ,it can get expensive just like any other hobby ,you can go as high as your imagination and money will take you.my advice is to really look at the overall condition of the truck.mechanically you can still get parts for it (brakes,drums,springs..etc) as for body parts you will have to source out scrap yards and you being in the usa.there are an abundance of them but you still have to check out the condition of the parts because they could be as bad as the part you are trying to replace .i can still get most parts from my kw dealership but some i have to source out.it is fun and take your time but the end result is a great feeling .hope this helps you out ..i have been around trucks all my life so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :D

Erick O
07-22-2013, 12:49 PM
I have a 75 F700 Mack all restored