PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ new speed controller

Rvjimd
09-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Help,

Anyone have one of these small speed controllers? Is I have included a picture of what came in the package. No instructions. I have tried it with both an air band radio as well as surface. The function is the same for either radio.

When it powers on, with the trim in the center, the motor moves slowly one direction. You can move the stick in that direction and it speeds up, then go the other way and it reverses. BUT, then it will not got back the other way again.

It definately turns the motor both directions initially, but only at power up.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b554/Slotcarjim/967e5d819c2de76b7aaaa5621f3ade70_zps19704729.jpg

There are two of these in the photo, top and bottom view, and my note on the spec sheet is what I found on the circuit board.

It does NOT Appear to have an on board button or anything for programming. My search on the web has not u covered anything yet. It is supposed to be a 10A brushed motor ESC with reverse and brake.

Help! Even if your ESC is different, I'd try power on, throttle positions setup steps from anything, hoping for some lucky similar setup steps.

Jim

Rvjimd
09-18-2013, 03:10 PM
A bit more info uncovered...

After messing with them, it seems the red LED on the ESC will flash or it will be solid on. I'm not sure how and why of this yet.

If the led is solid you can move the motor either fwd or rev. If it is flashing, you can go only one direction. If it is flashing, only one direction of the stick will turn the motor, the other stick movement does nothing. I can bump the stick and get the led to stop flashing but I don't understand exactly how or why it is working the way it does?

Still looking for thoughts on this. I'm guessing it is a reverse safety thing or something like that?

Jim

modelman
09-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Jimj-sounds like a centering problem for one thing. Can you adjust the trim to where the motor does not run? Probably when it is centered the led will burn solid. On s/c;s that I have had, the led flashes until correct center is found.

Rvjimd
09-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Chris and Tom,

I fiddled with the trims and it seems to work as you (Chris) describe. Part of my trouble came from the fact that I am using custom mixing on elevator and aileron stick to run the motors, so it was difficult to set the trims. I also did not have trims activated in the mixing and I don't understand exactly what that means, but it is close enough at the point.

I do have another set of the controllers on the way without the brake.

And last night during some early testing on a dirt pile I blew up one of the motors. I think the gearbox broke. Going to look at that this morning. I have another set of motors that may actually work out better.

Keep your fingers crossed! With any luck I will be able to get some video today. Since I will be taking it apart for the motor swap, I will get some pictures of the detail.

Jim