PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Multi-stage Wedico Ram

Northwoods Timber toter
12-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Has anyone found a cure for the Wedico multi-stage ram leaks? Can the cylinders be rebuilt? I've tried thicker fluid (ATF) seamed to work for a while, but then blat! Projected like an infant with a gas bubble after a bottle! Haven't touched in months, I only get a few weeks a year to work on my trucks. I work over seas, so I'm looking for a fairly quick way to fix, correct or even replace (if it's financially reasonable). She spews at almost each stage, enough to make a puddle dumping one load. Hope the EPA doesn't find out!:o Any fixes or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

JAMMER
12-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Lets face it the quickest way to fix it is get another cylinder and your problems will be solved. Ed

Brian in PA
12-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Or bite the bullet and but a scaleart cylinder.

Actros4160
12-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Which oil you use in it? I had the them issues after years not using the dump trailer. After talking to Ric at PMD he recommended to use hydraulic oil which I did. The cylinder or ram can be rebuild that is what Ric told me from PMD.

Bernd

Northwoods Timber toter
12-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I used the recommended hydraulic fluid from Wedico, didn't last long, then went with the ATF. From the words of wisdom, looks like I'll be saving to get a new cylinder. Question with that.. I see the Scale Art ram seems to be double action, while the Wedico is a single action utilizing a reversible pump. So my question is can I make the scale art ram work with the Wedico pump, or is it more efficient to get a whole new set up? Also does anyone have any advice on the scale art ram? What all comes with it, does the mounting hardware come with it? I see the top of the ram is a ball type joint, do you get the socket plate to go with it? Thanks guys!

Brian in PA
12-24-2013, 07:56 AM
The scale art is second to none. Mine works flawlessly. The mounting kit does come with it if I remember correctly

JAMMER
12-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Yes the Scale Art cylinder will work with the Wedico pump. Ed

Lil Giants
12-24-2013, 08:32 AM
The Scale Art telescope cylinder (http://scaleart-shop.de/en/Hydraulic-Parts/Telescope-Cylinder/Telescope-cylinder-long-version-for-halfpipe.html) is single acting. Others have used a bi-directional pump from UMS India (I don't have a link), so you're wdc pump should work fine.

I use a 10W hydraulic oil for everything.

Northwoods Timber toter
12-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Sounds good, Thanks guys for the help and advice. I assumed the Scale Art was double action as they showed it with two nipples, but the other one I am guessing would be where it attaches to the pump? Again thanks guys! This is why I love this site so much, everyone is willing to help, give good advice and personal experiences!!

Actros4160
12-24-2013, 10:55 AM
The cylinder is single action. The pump turning one direction it will move the cylinder up and when you reserve the cylinder goes down. I have a PDF of it but I can posted here to big of a file. I don't know a to size it down.

Northwoods Timber toter
02-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Well, I took everyone's advice. I bit the bullet and purchased a ScaleArt cylinder. Expensive, but from what everyone is telling me, it's well worth it. I'd like to thank everyone for the advice! This is why I like this forum!

Actros4160
03-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Have you get your new multistage cylinder?:D

Northwoods Timber toter
03-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Yup, got it a few weeks ago, just haven't had a chance to install it, had to go back to work this week. Maybe next time I'm home I can get it in. I did find out it does not come with mounting hardware, just the cylinder, hose and fittings. So I'll have to get some mounting hardware fabbed up.

Actros4160
04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Let me know how the install goes and possible a few pictures would be nice.