PDA

View Full Version : Committed

ekim
02-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Alright fellas, as well as any gals whom may be on the forum..... I have committed to the construction side of this hobby. I have decided to go with three items. Truck, loader, excavator.....probably in that order. It will be a slow process. The "BOSS" (wife) has granted the approval to spend 2k per year. The catch is it will be when my bonus comes in. So in a month or two I am looking to purchase what I beleive to be the smart choice of truck first? So I am looking to the experience of the forum and eager to hear each of your opinions or for advice. If you were to spend 2k on start up what would it be and why. Please and thank you all in advance.......

Michael (ekim)

flatdeck
02-01-2014, 02:40 PM
So you are going to build a half a truck per year.. LOL

Wayne

ekim
02-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Wayne, it would seem that way.... this will be a retirement hobby for me.... as I have a few years till then (10) I may have them by then...LOL

ekim
02-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Maybe I should ask this question about 5 years from now when I have saved some!!!

thebat
02-01-2014, 03:29 PM
id say start with the truck and a trailer first you can build a very nice hauler rig for 2k and reaons id start with truck and trailer first you have something to haul those pieces of equipment around on once they get there. kh and a rc4wd lowboy lil over a grand then add what you want to it from there.

ekim
02-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks Bat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will consider that!!!

doodlebug
02-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Explore radio options, too!
Cheer's, Neil.

ekim
02-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Ofcourse... thanks Neil....recommends on radio??????
Is it possible to buy higher end radio that will control more than one unit? I think that there is now as I have been out of the game for many years.

JohnStilwell
02-01-2014, 10:12 PM
This forum has a wealth of information, welcome aboard!!

Radios: Futaba, Spectrum, Brix, and Scale Art. There are others too, but I think any of these would be a good choice. I would go with a minimum of an 8 or more channel system. Most newer radios have mixing, end point adj. and exponential rates, but make sure these features are available on all or most of the channels, you can never have too much flexibility in your radio, especially if you're planning on using it on several different models.

John

dabears
02-02-2014, 12:10 AM
2k could get you a nice truck up and running, as well as a home made trailer. year after get another trailer and save. then year after you might be able to get the loader.
either way your gonna have fun!

Exclusive RC
02-02-2014, 03:12 AM
It Tried sticking to a budget myself, but that only lasted 1 day.... Good luck bud

ekim
02-02-2014, 09:02 AM
THANKS so much for the info. dabears,rc, John and ofcourse doodle.....

Northwoods Timber toter
02-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Might want to consider "pre-owned" as well. You can get some pretty good deals out there with some upgrades already done. I've bought a couple and pulled them apart and reassembled them in a different configurations to suit my likes. Trade off or sell the unused parts for parts you want. Just a thought.