PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs To Learn

BigCATRod
02-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Hi all,

I'm a heavy equipment operator/foreman for the last 30 years. I'm just looking into getting into r/c modeling and am absolutely green. Are there any good how to books or on-line tutorials that provide the basics, like definitions, motor/gearbox speed explanations, power, etc. Just good overall explanations of what does what. I have bought a Bruder Cat D5 to convert, hoping it is a good simple one to start with. I would like it to be equipped with a two speed motor or gearbox, one for travel, lower for pushing. Plan to use actuators instead of hydraulics (I am poor), so I would also like some tips on speed and power of actuators, as well as suppliers. Thanks for any advice.

dabears
02-13-2014, 12:24 AM
You have found the best place to help you. lots of conversions have been done here! welcome

Lmackattack
02-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Besides the few company that make r/c equipment. It seams people tend to build them with all different kinds of parts....one guy uses windshield wiper motors for the drive and another will use heavy duty servos......I think it comes down to tinkering and seeing what works....best advice I can give is to search and ask lots of questions....look thru other peoples builds to get ideas...

Welcome to the fourms