PDA

View Full Version : King Hauler Ideas/Help

up9018
09-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Hey guys, getting ready to build my first RC truck and I need some help deciding a few things.

I want to build a King Hauler, and it HAS to be customized. I can't build anything stock. I tried one time, almost died from it.

First thing, it needs to be stretched but I'm not sure the length. If you have stretched your's how long are your frame rails? Can you shoot me a picture?

More questions to come.

Thanks,
Chris

bigford
09-22-2014, 09:15 AM
there is a guy on ebay selling 4" 6"& 8"rail extenders
my king has a lift axle in it and is 29" and a wedico sleeper

mamwr
09-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi Chris.

I just extended mine by 4" so from stock 22.5" to 26.5"...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e159/mroskams/B4EF8E52-B129-4F90-9B86-0553BA07D5E1.jpg (http://s39.photobucket.com/user/mroskams/media/B4EF8E52-B129-4F90-9B86-0553BA07D5E1.jpg.html)

People go longer but I think 3 or 4 inches is about right for my taste.

Good luck with the build and keep posting pics as you go through!

mavrick0
09-22-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm not a fan of those extension blocks. Personally I would start with a blank frame and go from there. Cut it to the length you like and drill the holes you need. Nice thing about the blank frames too is if you use something like Russ's air ride you aren't left with all the holes from the stock suspension.

Great looking truck Chris.

bigford
09-22-2014, 02:01 PM
thats it the O/P didnt say how crazy he wanted togo
i got a set of 36" pmd rails and russes air ride waiting
for a build

up9018
09-22-2014, 02:18 PM
I was considering somewhere between 28 and 30 inches. I have seen a couple in that length at that is about what I like.

I do plan on going with a full set of rails. Snooping on Evil-Bay I found Semi-Joe has a set already drilled for the King Hauler in several lengths. He states they are drilled but not tapped, you need to nut the hardware. Does anyone have experience with these, and will I have to buy all new hardware for them?

I plan on stretching the frame but leaving the rest as-is for now. I want to concentrate on the body itself first. As time passes and I have run for a little while, I will start putting upgrades into the frame/drivetrain itself.

Thanks again,
Chris

mavrick0
09-22-2014, 02:46 PM
The only frame I have for reference from Joe is the one from the dolly. But the holes are drilled for the screw to pass through and be nutted on the other side to hold the part on. Not a way I perticuallrly like it as that can become a real pain when the truck is fully assembled for certain parts. The other issue with Joe's rails is they are over sized and you need to shave down any plastic part that slips over the frame like the fuel tank and steps. Might not be a big deal with plastic but if you use aluminum parts that can be a pain.

There are several site members that sell frame rails. I'd check out them like the PMD one's bigford has or true scale or IHB. The IHB are nice too because they have the angled part of the frame already there.

As for hardware most people get rid of the crappy Tamiya Philips screws and go with hex screws for better looks. Personally I used stainless steel buttonhead hex screws on all my stuff. You can buy that kind of hardware from places like Fastenal.

andyathome
09-22-2014, 03:35 PM
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u575/andyathome/20140828_163845_zpsc4c88ba2.jpg (http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/andyathome/media/20140828_163845_zpsc4c88ba2.jpg.html)

how about a 6 inch stretch . 8 x 6, head rack and a winch for the big jobs.
the sky is the limit, or how far your wallet opens.
at the end of the day its your truck so make it how you want, i started mine quite a while ago but am always looking at new ways to make it how I like it.

cabs
09-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Start with pmd or IHB rails, I personally think ihb's are awesome. Let the ideas fly. Have fun with it.

bigford
09-22-2014, 08:44 PM
PMD rails fit all Tamiya plastic parts. IHB rails are real nice with the end taper

up9018
09-22-2014, 09:08 PM
OK, have a few things to look at. The King Hauler should be ordered in the morning.

Will be investigating all of my rail choices. I assume most people just use a drill press to punch the holes?

For my first ride I don't think I will go with an air ride suspension, but I would like a lift axle. Who makes a good one?

A couple of good looking trucks seen here guys!

Thanks for all of your help
Chris

mavrick0
09-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Hand drill works just as good as a drill press I find. I just make sure I center punch the hole then start with a small bit and work my way up to what I need for a through hole or a hole that will be tapped. Since you will have the King frame use that as a template to mark your holes for the suspension and other parts you are going to reuse that way it takes away most of the guess work.

As for a lift axle I have seen two and both are from site supporting shops but out of the 2 I liked this one better. http://www.shapeways.com/model/1293248/lift-axle-v2.html?materialId=62

up9018
09-23-2014, 09:54 AM
It's Ordered!!!! King Hauler from RC4WD, Frame Rails and Rear Bumper Mount from True Scale and Frame Crossmembers from IHB. That should get me a good start.

flatdeck
09-23-2014, 10:39 PM
If you are going to put a lift axle in the shapeways is the only way to go.. good and solid the only thing it is a little wide for dual wheels it works great with super singles....

up9018
09-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Recieved my True Scale rails and bumper mount today. IHB crossmembers are on the way. King Hauler is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday. Orders FastEddy's bearing set today.

Can't wait to get started!

Does anyone make gears to replace the plastic transmission set?

mavrick0
09-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Yes if you check out stellamodels.net they sell a brass set. I don't think they are really all the necessary even though I've put them in a couple of trucks. Keep in mind though if you are changing them then you need to change the nylon shift plates out as well to the steel that are made that you can find on eBay. But pretty much you are looking at another $100 do to all that.