PDA

View Full Version : Nimh or Lipo for King hauler?

chris deacon
01-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Ok all. I am about to start building my King hauler and was wondering what sort of batteries should i get for it Nimh or Lipos? And what sort?
Cheers Chris

mavrick0
01-30-2015, 12:43 PM
For me it's lipo. They hold a better charge, take a charge better and don't form a memory like nimh batteries do. But if you are using lipo's you need to either have an ESC with a lipo cutoff built into it or use a lipo alarm so you don't over discharge them and damage the pack. As for the sort of lipo really you only need to deal with a 2s(7.4v) battery in a king hauler and the nice thing with the king having a nice flat battery holder you aren't limited to a special type of lipo like you would in a truck like a knight hauler that the battery holder is in the same shape of a standard nimh battery.

heavybed
01-30-2015, 06:18 PM
I run a 2s 10,000 mah lipo batt with a lipo screamer in my tri-axle king and run all day and still have batt left over. Just make sure your esc is lipo compatible

Cooper
01-30-2015, 11:41 PM
And,, if you are not familiar with lipo, li-fe, or such, you will want to purchase a decent or very good charger. 99% of lipo problems are from overcharging or not being careful with pack. If damage they are a time bomb waiting to swell, burst. Just do some research and take care of them and lipos will outperform (apples to apples) nicad, nimah, almost any other chemistry for our uses.
Lipo, lithium polymer , cells (1s, 2s, 3s, ect) are measured (voltage) per cell then pack voltage. The main concerns (brief) with these are not to let voltage (resting) to drop below 3 volts per cell. Very good rule is 3.2 volts not 3. Never , never try to overcharge. Cells need to be balanced in a pack usually the last 3~5% of cycle charge. Don't let get damaged, dropping, smashing, altering, saltwater, water( ok but stop using and place in bag of dry rice overnight) look around as most batteries are rebranded as only a handful of actual manufactures exist. And sometimes the lipo cut off circuit will just stop movement or slow down and then resume, if you notice that, stop! Charge.
And I run lipos too, don't know where or when my last nicad was used. As far as what sort, in our trucks the c-rating, (ability of battery to output power) doesn't need to be that high. And not one battery company on the market can truly live up to the c ratings as advertised. (Referring to the high end packs. )
Some good lipo reads. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577989

Supermario
01-30-2015, 11:59 PM
I started with Nmih in all my trucks. Then I got a loader and due to size and space constraints it came with a lipo. I'm sold on Lipo ever since. Everyone has given sound advice and cautions with these. The main reason I use is not just for the power. It's the reduced size that makes the difference. With all the electronics we add and have in our builds, the less space taken by the battery the better! I couldn't have my day cab the way it is without lipo.
Here's a size comparison for you. 2,000ma Nmih compared to a 2,200ma lipo.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y447/catman4088/fc5b691b084950c3b519ae3868a78a51_zps0fa76986.jpg

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y447/catman4088/13f91f6602c6ab1106bf540167867d51_zpsf84e8079.jpg

chris deacon
01-31-2015, 04:15 AM
Yeah I got a charger as in have been using lipos for a few years now in my planes...
cheers chaps