View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 03:31 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I need radio help please!

Wow, Mario, you weren't kidding about the poor translation! I don't know what a wanton is, but I'd be pretty embarrassed about the description of how mix 5 and 6-7 work!

Anyway, I can't believe the manual does not give channel numbers and instead refers to them simply by function. Assuming the channel numbers use some sort of industry standard, we could only guess that channel 1 is the aileron function, channel 2 is the elevator function, channel 3 is the throttle, and channel 4 is the rudder. That would be in aircraft terms. That is also assuming the American standard of the radio being set up in mode 2. Mode 1, which is kind of a European thing, switches the throttle and elevator controls with each other. Everything else stays the same.

So if my assumption is right, we know now what channels 1 through 4 control. It's 5 through 9 that we aren't sure about yet.

I can also tell you that the toggle labeled F. MOD is short for flight mode. That should be a three position switch, which in helicopter mode controls the throttle servo. In aircraft mode that might control a set of flaps. (Or in the case of a semi truck it could control a shift servo.) RUDD D/R is rudder dual rate, ELE D/R is elevator dual rate, and AILE D/R is aileron dual rate. These toggle switches won't move a servo by themselves when you flip them, instead they limit the servo travel, when a stick is moved. A dual rate is a program feature that limits the servo travel to a lesser degree, or with the toggle flipped the other way, gives you full servo throw. The idea is to sort of tame a model down and limit the total servo travel by something around half. It makes a highly responsive model more docile that way.

TRN is a trainer switch that locks out the controls of a trainee's radio, when tethered to the instructor's radio. This toggle shouldn't control any channel at all.

GEAR is of course for landing gear. Should control a servo one direction 100% or the other, depending on the position. Could very well turn lights or some other function on or off.

So that leaves the potentiometers. The knobs HOV PIT (hover pitch), PIT TRIM (pitch trim), and HOV THR (hover throttle) are all helicopter functions dealing with blade and throttle pitch curves. In airplane model, I can't say for sure what they might do. At least one of the might control a flap and be fully proportional in operating a servo (or in your case an ESC). If these knobs controlled your track drive motors, then I'm going to guess and say the excavator was originally set up using an airplane model program. In helicopter mode the knobs most likely wouldn't directly control just one servo's travel. Helicopters use a throttle/pitch/aileron/elevator mix, all controlled with the two main sticks. That's why I say if your excavator doesn't seem to be working at all or is doing strange things in helicopter mode, it's probably the wrong mode altogether!

So I guess with all that said, I would go back to airplane mode, and see if you have model #1 selected. That would probably be the default model name that the excavator was set up under. Try that and see how the servos and switches function. If you accidently switched to a different model, the original excavator radio set up should still be there and saved. All the end points will remain untouched as well. You just have to find the right model name.

By the way, I also noticed the manual looks like it mentions the AUX-CH function giving you the ability to assign (program) channels 5 through 9 to an input on the transmitter, so a toggle or knob might be assigned to run a function of the excavator on it's own, regardless of default radio settings.

Maybe some of this will help you, Mario. It's a lot of information to take in, but combined with some reading of the manual, perhaps you'll be able to figure this out. It's difficult give good advice without really seeing what channels the servos are plugged into, and what the model does in the different modes. I think if you continue to play with it you'll solve your issues! I hope anyway!