View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

The fence is just to keep the livestock (dogs ) in. I think I have 14-18 posts to set. All the property in background is mine as well but if this property was sold off the fence line is marker. That fence is probably 15+ now. Not bad for rough cut hemlock. Posts are treated. I have a 6" auger to dig 4x4 posts. Maybe a half hour job diggin. More time running tape measure and leveling posts. Ground is soft on low side, that's also gonna be a property marker so only reason I was gonna add a bag of sacrete to them. Where I have a gate big enough to drive equipment into if ever needed I used 4x6 and they are 3' deep. Old Amish man once told me to use a hatchet and cut notches in corners (like a barb) below ground line to help with lifting from frost heaving. He might have been pulling my leg too. Around here depending on snow cover , realistically frost might get 6-8 deep in good soil, hard clay/shale deeper. However not to underestimate power of frost, I have several sewer lines to dig up. They are future lines stemming off main line. About 4 feet deep 4" slip joints that frost has pulled up out of ground. Those slip joints are not easy to fit in and worse to take apart!!
But the fence job should only take the better part of day to do , if I get around to it and finally get more boards. At least I'm pretty sure I can make it take a day.