View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Green Horn

REEVE2007 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SAN FRANCISCO AT IT'S FINEST

It is the last 2 axles on the dolly that do all the steering. The bullster on the dolly has a very heavy duty arm that connects it to the rear 2 axles. They are on a pivoting point. Every time you make a turn with the truck and the bullster turns it, the rear axles follow. It cuts the tracking of the trailer way down and you can make alot tighter corners. When you need to make even tighter turns, there is a pin in the arm that connects the bullster to the rear 2 axles and when you remove it, you can self steer hydraulically the rear 2 axles. When you take that pin out, you start a pony motor that runs the hydraulics that are run off a lever that has a neutral valve for when it is not in use. There is a platform you can sand on on one side of the dolly and run this lever or you can plug in a remote that is on a cord and actually walk along with the trailer and steer it. The cord is about 20' long. They've probably come out with cordless by now though...lol. Any how, it is kind of hard to explain in text form. If your still up in the air on it but interested further I can take send pictures that will give you a better idea of how it works. Let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Reeve. Can you give a short explanation of how the steering works on the rear carrier. I don't see a cab, so how's it done.
Thanks Rob