View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reasonable Advice Needed

George:

Quite a few years ago, I converted a SOTW 1/6 Kubelwagen to RC (2WD only) using an old Traxxas Bandit that I had laying about. It was great, and cheap.

Now, that being said, you need to lay out your conversion parameters. You have already said it needs to be 4x4, and capable of being waterproofed (or able to tolerate water).

First place I'd look would be Radio Shack/Circuit City. You get the vehicle AND controller all in one. Problem is, the controllers are often limited, and crap.

We also need to know what your budget is... for the chassis components, and for the controller.

Whats the track-width, wheel-nut to wheel-nut, and the wheelbase, axle to axle. That will tell us roughly what scale we need to consider.

Now... I know there are a few hobby shops on eBay that sell off car lots. I picked up a trio of the Losi Micro-T's for less than the cost of one new pack, and only had to deal with garbaged battery packs. I also got a load of the Kyosho JGSDF LAV parts, but they might be a tad small for your use (based on the Half-Eight chassis) but DO come with a good control system, and are full 4x4.

Also, can you supply pics of the interior space usable for the 'conversion'?

And lastly... do you wanna do it yourself, or would you consider contracting it out?

Just picking brains here...
WhiteWolf
- used to thinking way outside the box...