View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 PM

Jw. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/14 CAT 390D LME

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygrady View Post
i have a few links about making sand molds to do what you need ,let me know if you want them ,
but the best way is doing lost wax and using a wax tree and casting thirty or more at one time in a investment mold ,
and by the way plaster of paris will cause a exploration of hot metal because you can't bake all of the water out of it .
I would appreciate those links very much I sorta skipped over sand molds because I thought the undercut on the track pad would be impossible to mold. I've looked into the lost wax and everyone says its an expensive process with all the equipment needed. I only thought about taking that route as a last resort if all other methods failed. We'll see if it ends up that way. As far as plaster of paris, I didn't know about the water issue. Is there any way around it? I was going to fire it in my kiln to dry it. I would think 1832 degrees Fahrenheit would be enough to dry it completely. I haven't found a lot of info on casting metal into ceramics and what Ive found. The info on the slurry mixture they used for plaster is always different or not very in depth.