View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Green Horn

mavrick0 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Cascadia build.

(04/29/14)

So once I was done "playing" with the MFU and had it all packed up it was time to get back to the build.

Now comes the fun of building the frame and installing the servos. I tend to make things harder for myself by always using threaded hex hardware versus the standard self-tapping Philips hardware that Tamiya supplies, but I think the pain in the wrist is all worth it in the end.

Once the chassis was done it was time to build the shocks. As much as I'm not going to use the stock shocks I figured I might as well build them and then the parts aren't laying around. The reason I bought the upgraded Tamiya oil filled shocks was for the colour. I remembered with the knight hauler they came with an ugly pink colour stock shock which just didn't look right. I was surprised with this kit they are actually a plan aluminium. But the oil filled are a nice gun metal which still looks better against the black frame.

Now it was time for the front axle to be built. Rather straight forward and simple but still always fun as with any build.

Finally it was time to bring the frame, tranny, front and rear axles together. I wasn't able to install both rear axles because for some reason either I wrote down the wrong part number for the screws I needed when I went and didn't my order or the counter person read it wrong or pulled the wrong part. Either way I ended up with flathead M3x20mm versus the buttonhead M3x20mm. Luckily I had 4 sitting in another screw box so I as able to get one axle under the frame.

So this is the way it sits on my bench this morning. I have to run out and get the screws I need so I can continue with more of the build. Looking back to yesterday things for the most part went together pretty smooth but then again it's a Tamiya so you'd expect that. Only pita was the upgraded shocks. The lower shock mount is slightly different then the stock. You need to use 2 spacers. So while trying to put the screw through the mount you have to hold one spacer then the shock and then the other spacer. Definitely a tricky endeavour specially with some of the tight areas between the leaf spring and axle.