RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 11-18-2015, 03:24 PM

jasonthekid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Those sure are some pretty tires! Can't wait to see them dirty! Like the rest of your machines I'm sure this one will be top notch
Old 11-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jason, I'm pretty eager to get them rolling with some battery power!!! Got the four back wheels partially made.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Pretty! What parts are you welding?
Old 11-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I've been trying to purchase correct dimensional stock alum so I don't have to cut much off. Instead of turning a 4" piece I got 4"X11/2" wall tube. And then turning thin sections for the hub. Welding that to the rim.

I did do a few experimental welds to check penetration and learn how to. It's thick for my Hobart handler 140. I did try to hammer parts apart and held well. And the turning on the lathe didn't dislodge it so I think I'm safe.

And my "hands on" design of how clearances will play,,,

Again no paper design just what's left of my brain and in hand parts!!

I'll be cutting the colored areas once I figure out how to set it up
Old 11-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And yes design flaw in this part for number of holes . Missread on the dro
Old 11-21-2015, 07:28 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

So each tire has a two piece rim that bolted together to squeeze the bead for a positive lock?

Joe
Old 11-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
So each tire has a two piece rim that bolted together to squeeze the bead for a positive lock?
Yes , the two pieces of rim will be bolted to the axle hub. Basically sandwiching the axle hub. And if for some reason if I do have any tire slippage, I have enough material that I could remove more. I also have the rim offset a bit. I will be really surprised if I do have slippage on the rim as they are pretty snugg
Old 11-22-2015, 12:27 AM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

Hey Cooper.....looking forward to seeing this build !!! Be nice to see another big haul truck on here , considering our trucks are different in scale yours being a bigger truck 1:1 scale they will almost be the same size as models!!
You will be pleased with the power of the banebot motor/gear box , very strong!!! The power they put out is almost a bit scary...lol...just remember there is only one ball bearing supporting the 1/2" output shaft, try not to put to much axial load on it, they recommend limiting the torque to only 35 ft lbs but with the big tires and no other reduction you may need it all.(You still might need more reduction to bring the speed down and the torque up, at 70-90 RPM that thing will haul a$$ )

What size are the tires? What motor did you get on the gear box ??

Really like the tires you made!!! Looking great!!( Hey, buddy, pal ,I could use a set...LOL)

Keep up the nice work!!!
Old 11-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hey dads, thanks!! 1) nice to see the one video of you loading, one 5gallon bucket, and another scoop!!! Really puts perspective on how much material is in the dump body!! 2) water jet!?!!! You are so lucky!!! I need to go over to next town, a guy that has a food automation processing line company specializes in water cutting,, I really should go see him as he is a big fan of scale planes. Right next to his facility he has a manicured 100+yard runway. Figure similar RC interests I might get some cheep cutting done. 3) I have the two drive motors of 256:1 gear reduction. Don't know what motor is on the end, but noisy little buggers at 12v!!! Might not need any sound system!! I'm thinking that having two for drive will be enough torque and power. And yes I'm trying to take all weight off motor shafts and put on axles. With not wanting to spent $100-200 on a single slim profile bearing (needing 4) I am trying to incorporate 2" bearings for wheel hub carrier. I'm planing on having the two motors in axle, hopefully use some radio programming for a differential effect when wheel turned to left/right max. And some good info on your build, I would never have thought about proper geometry on Ackerman effect if you would have not posted about it!! Tires? I really wanted to use the same ones you got and not have to go through the whole process of making them. If I remember correct they were just a little too off on dimensions for my project. Spent a lot of time trying to find tires, just couldn't find close enough size. Might be able to work something up for you in future!! Still need to see how they preform in actual use.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Hey dads, thanks!! 1) nice to see the one video of you loading, one 5gallon bucket, and another scoop!!! Really puts perspective on how much material is in the dump body!! 2) water jet!?!!! You are so lucky!!! I need to go over to next town, a guy that has a food automation processing line company specializes in water cutting,, I really should go see him as he is a big fan of scale planes. Right next to his facility he has a manicured 100+yard runway. Figure similar RC interests I might get some cheep cutting done. 3) I have the two drive motors of 256:1 gear reduction. Don't know what motor is on the end, but noisy little buggers at 12v!!! Might not need any sound system!! I'm thinking that having two for drive will be enough torque and power. And yes I'm trying to take all weight off motor shafts and put on axles. With not wanting to spent $100-200 on a single slim profile bearing (needing 4) I am trying to incorporate 2" bearings for wheel hub carrier. I'm planing on having the two motors in axle, hopefully use some radio programming for a differential effect when wheel turned to left/right max. And some good info on your build, I would never have thought about proper geometry on Ackerman effect if you would have not posted about it!! Tires? I really wanted to use the same ones you got and not have to go through the whole process of making them. If I remember correct they were just a little too off on dimensions for my project. Spent a lot of time trying to find tires, just couldn't find close enough size. Might be able to work something up for you in future!! Still need to see how they preform in actual use.
I hear ya about how noisy the motor/gear box is , I thinks it is because of all the gear reduction in the box 256:1 might have something to do with it...lol...one other thing to be carefull with is the grease you put in the gear box, when I bought mine it was not greased, I think they might be sending them out with grease in them now, people where putting the wrong grease in and cooking the first stage of gears, even with the proper grease the gear box does get hot after running for a while but your way of mounting them in the ALM. HSS should act like a big heat sink which will be a big plus in keeping the gear boxes cooler.

Finding the right size tires of the shelf for this size of truck is just not possible the tires I used are near the proper size but are just a bit small and too narrow but much like you I try build function first and "scale looks" sometimes takes a back seat to the design, always have to compromise a bit between function of available parts and the overall scale looks, so you will be happier with the end results and look of the truck with all the work you have put into making the tires, the pay off will be worth all the effort, and besides the rest of use are all learning with you. (our cost of learning from you and others is just a lot less...LOL)

So have you figured out how you are going to steer it?? Hydraulics would be better then what I built.... would make a much cleaner build...and you seem to be good with hydraulics. I thought of using one or two linear actuators but nothing out there is strong enough, my experience with the L16 that have the 150:1 reduction has not been good at all, the tiny gears in the drive just dont last long but the 63:1 L16 have worked very well and for a long time but I dont think they would be strong enough to steer a big truck when it is loaded. I'm sure you will figure out a new better way to steer this monster!!

KP
Old 11-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The gearboxes were greased, that was the first things I did. Took them apart as they are said to be shipped without. If I remember correct a good high speed bearing grease, lithium I think. Don't anyone hold me to that, read what they recommend first!! When I was playing with them is when I noticed them heat up a little bit. That got me thinking about the motor and gearbox in the axle. I have several small esc fans, it was just a thought but I did consider incorporating some bit of fan driven cooling for these. They are the main components to the whole drivetrain, well they are the drivetrain!! Lol!! I was thinking of making a box that would be the primary drive (something like that on the 1:1 machines) the big thing attached to front of rear axle, would be easy to put fan in there.

And I've gots lots of learning curves!! The one rim with all the holes in, too many for the correct pattern I wanted--- well they will become front rims.

And yes, the more I think about it I am leaning towards making two cylinders for steering. With the multi stage double acting lift cylinders I'm going to shoot for I will need pump and valve body so might as well use hydro for steering too. This rear axle is the only thing I wasn't sure about (if I could fit them and use a bearing support) but I think my plan is going to work. Don't know how soon I'll have some pics, some more pieces of stock in mail and work week looks busy. Guess it's gonna be time to pick fight with wife and get sent to garage!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well I think this "plan" is going to work. I will have 1/8" clearance between axle and wheel hub body. I wanted a little more but it will work. Probably close to scale anyways. . I still have to drill out correct size on hub assembly and shorten shaft part. That part that started square and ended up round for the motors to slide in was about 2 1/2 hours. Set up and slow on the turning as I didn't want it to fly out of lathe. I'm going to drill new bolt holes in end carrier housing of gear head. Center has more meat in it. And the way I figure that part should be the weakest link but still a lot of aluminum for strength. Probably way more than needed but hey I got to get the weight up for that bet!!! Oh and all your guesses are locked in but I still keep the ability to change mine,,,, haha,
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Go Cooper go ! Can't wait to get run over by this beast Love it Sir.
"Oh and all your guesses are locked in but I still keep the ability to change mine,,,, haha," That's OK too.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:55 AM
Apprentice

Looking good....really want to see this all together because I'm not completely sure how this all works yet...lol...have to wait for the next set of pics
Old 11-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

be happy we got rw to post pic in correct order now!!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

Hey Cooper I think we are all just guessing the weight but we all really want to see this thing come to life and dont care if it weights 1 or 100 lbs lol **** it looks good either way keep up the good work.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok so after doing the math, ( redneck math-spend a week making parts, assemble to find out it needs changed) I realize the tolerances are just too close to do exactly what I wanted to with having two gear head motors in axle. They are a bit long but that wasn't the big thing for me.

This is how much room will be between wheel hub and axle. It is enough but if some debris gets in there it would jam and be a major effort in removing. Thought about seal but then the bearing would be better. But that is a specific thin section bearing and $100-200 bucks. Just not happening unless it was the perfect piece. But then the issue of weight being placed completely on outside rim where drive axle bolts to wheel hub. Another issue with this plan.

This is what the components would assemble. Not showing the two piece rims that bolt to the dyed wheel hub and I had a thin walled tube to go over motor and reinforcing motor gearbox to axle. I'm pointing at load area. And all that bolted at outside wheel hub.

But only time lossed and the square section (the part that took the most set up and machining time!! Lol!! So maybe some others might get some inspiration from this failed attempt!! But the back up parts were purchased before these were!! Lol, I guess I kind of knew this might not work out
Old 11-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Secondary parts becoming primary parts!! Oh, and another issue with the two drive motors, I wanted to have some sort of differential and was going to be burning the midnight oil with respect to radio programming, was going to mix stearing into motors. That isn't easy for me, the electronically challenged I am.
Now I'm going to be down to one motor. From dads garage build of his bigger scale, one motor is proven to power it. Thanks for that, I've looked through your build and some good stuff. Jealous of sever things! Mostly your access to a water jet!!!!! The axle will now have a traditional differential. It was ebayed from a 1/5 scale gas yard ripper (rc 1/5 scale truck ) reg has tried to get me to build the housing but bolt holes, bearings, and it's is already lined up perfectly.! Only issue now is motor and gearbox is still long! Even for this monster. Have to shorten motor shaft and hide it in the gear reduction housing (?) or whatever it is in front of the rear axle on the 1:1 truck.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Apprentice

Is there any chance of getting some needle bearing to work instead of the ball bearings?? If there is something that size you could almost run it on a sleeve that fits over the dia you cut on the square tubing...something with about .100" thick wall then the needle bearings running on it the needle bearings would be press fit in the ID of the rim, hope that make sense....this all depends if there is such a needle bearing in the needed size range...just a though....
Old 11-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

HMMM Back to the single motor like I said originally.
I looked for some other thin bearings and if you search "THIN SECTION BEARING" I found some cheaper bearings by other manufacturers rather than the original name I told you about.