RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I am interested in getting started in scale RC.

Hello JonBailey I have a mixer from Bruder truck I took apart to get the cab $ 20.00 US dollars plus shipping and it's yours it has water tank ans chutes. This should give you a good start. Ed
Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 PM

JonBailey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I am interested in getting started in scale RC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Hello JonBailey I have a mixer from Bruder truck I took apart to get the cab $ 20.00 US dollars plus shipping and it's yours it has water tank ans chutes. This should give you a good start. Ed
I went to the Bruder web site. Those mixers are toy trucks with a crank handle in the water tank. What scale are these toy trucks? Could the mixer unit easily fit a Tamiya chassis? Could the mixing barrel be converted to electric power to turn it?

I may have to set my sights on another type of scale truck than a cement truck.

I still have to have a Kenworth W900 cab with interior and driver figure, no exceptions. A tractor might be more doable because of the availability of off-the-shelf parts or kits. But then I need a semi trailer in scale. Maybe a cattle trailer with scale cow figures inside? Electronic mooing sound effects? RC operated landing gear?

I am getting the impression right off the bat that the kit and parts market for the serious scale RC on-road/construction trucker is limited in selection.

Before I start to put money into any project, I have to have a master plan first.

I need to compile a parts inventory: everything must fit like a glove once the correct mods are made to some parts whenever applicable.
I need to find the proper starter kit.
I need to find a qualified paid model painter. I am no master painter myself. I have a mechanical aptitude, but not cosmetic skills for vehicles as paint.
I need a plan for acquiring any needed custom parts and/or commissioning a guy to do such fabrications.
I need a master budget plan too: a cost outlay assessment for the truck of my dreams.

There is no hurry for me to build my truck. It could be a project spanning a year or more.

I feel I have the aptitude to assemble the truck plus install radio electronics and get her up and running once all the parts are in order and all the special paint/decal work is done.

I don't think scale-model commercial trucking has seriously caught on in America yet. I am a Kenworth man and a classic American vehicle man. I may have to send a wish list off to Santa Claus next Christmas. I love classic Kenworth looks and classic Kenworth style. Euro style is not my bag.

In practice, I would like as many off-the-shelf parts/kits as possible to build a nice scale truck to my liking. I still may have to contract an expert craftsman to do some custom work.

Last edited by JonBailey; 02-10-2016 at 11:35 PM.