RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Interest in New Trucks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
I talked to a good friend of mine of many years the other day about this who works at Tamiya USA in CA and he said that it would show that there is interest but the fact is that there is just not the numbers sold in the US and Canada like over in the UK and other foreign country's plus the copy right laws are so tuff here in the USA that is cost a ton in trade mark fees that is why there is truck like the king hauler and knight hauler because they would have to charge threw the nose to pay the fees and that is why they don't do it.. This is the same reason why they took the chevy off the clodbuster.

He said the big main reason is that there is just not enuff sales for semis of US make in the world but they sell a ton of the others Benz/MAN/ect.. He also said there has been talk about cutting the King Hauler out of production do to its number of years in production the only reason they have not done it yet is that it has picked up in the past few years so you might be careful you get a new truck but we might lose the base plat form of most trucks and I sure don't want to lose the KH over the new IH or any other new style semi..

I understand they lack the sales of tamiya semis here in the US, but I think that is due in part to the fact we don't have any liscenced American trucks to build (and relate to), they sells tons of Scania, Mercedes- Benz and Mann trucks because that is what the Euro and Asian markets want. I wonder what the sales of scanias , mb, and manns are here in the US. I'm sure there much less then across the pond. Nothing against anyone who has one but to me these euro trucks are god awful looking. Because these aren't the trucks I grew up in and see in my travels. I think they made a very poor choice in selecting the Ford Areomax to be there attempt at a US licensed truck, since the aeromax is like the least seen and sold modern truck on the roads (atleast behind Pete,KW,Mack,Freight Liners) in my opinion. They have licensed the Volvo for the euro style Volvo cabover which owns Mack now, why can't the obtain another license from Volvo for their Mack production line? Or take a chance with the icon of all trucks Peterbilt. Someone at tamiya needs to wake up.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 PM
The Man The Myth The Ledgen RUSS OF DA LOUD!

russisloud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Control Trucker View Post
I know that a lot of the old school drivers, like myself, would appreciate the Diamond Reo, but in the efforts to build interest in our hobby and possibly excite some of the public that would only be influenced by a name like Harley-Davidson. I am also attempting to reach beyond our own personal preferences of truck(s) and expand our impact in the world.
The request for a WesternStar is a good idea and I’m more than willing to follow-up on that as well, if International will give licensing permission to Tamiya. I’d also like to consider Marmon and possibly AutoCar. I know that a lot of us reminisce over these classic trucks for the “end of the road”.
Please give more feedback, the more the better. It will give my request weight if we have a substantial number of members demanding new models of trucks to be made available to the public.
Thank you, RCT
ah yes, lets all DEMAND that tamiya gives us what we want that seems to be the way to do thing now a days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 AM

coligny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
Mack = American Trucking Icon
You DO know that they are french and part of Renault Truck ?

Which is tied to Volvo truck...

Which is back tied to the Renault group...

Who also include Alpine, Dacia, Vaz Lada, Samsung Motor, Nissan, Infinity and every passing day a little more of Mercedes Benz...

Last edited by coligny; 02-22-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKNICK View Post
I understand they lack the sales of tamiya semis here in the US, but I think that is due in part to the fact we don't have any liscenced American trucks to build (and relate to).
Ahh, a catch 22. I think sales would pick up, if Tamiya actually offered a licensed American truck model. How expensive can it be? As I mentioned before, we have tons of plastic and diecast Peterbilt and Kenworth models to choose from. Just not much in the way of 1/16 or 1/14 scale RC trucks. Other companies are able to do it and be profittable, so why couldn't Tamiya?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coligny View Post

Who also include Alpine, Dacia, Vaz Lada, Samsung Motor, Nissan, Infinity and every passing day a little more of Mercedes Benz...
AH , yes post mid 1980's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Interest in New Trucks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by coligny View Post

By "American Icon" I'm referring to the fact that the truck was originally an American born and made company up until the 1980s. If you look threw history books you can easily find an old chain driven Mack in the photos helping carry the dirt and stone from the construction of the Hoover Dam and things of that nature. Im aware they are owned by a foreign company now and tied to Volvo and Renault etc. But when you think of Mack can you can't honestly tell me you consider it to be a Scandinavian brand or French or whatever. No.... you consider it an American truck since it was originally born and bred in America. I'm personally not a big Mack guy, I'm a Peterbilt/ KW guy but I know that Mack has a huge following and would sell pretty well all around the world since they are easily found all over north/south America , Australia Africa and the UK. Dunno about the rest of Europe and Asia.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Interest in New Trucks??

At a slight disadvantage of having not read the entire thread (yet), how about a couple of "old" body styles that may not need permission to manufacture?

I mean new is great and all of you guys have the knowledge of what would sell and everything, but a little variety ... does that sound good as well?

It's just a thought. I'm still at a loss on what I would pick.

~ Jeff
Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road

Jeff, several of the 'old' body styles are of the popular truck manufacture. Indeed, after much research the information leads me to believe that most of the licensing would be acquired through Daimler Trucks, Volvo Trucks, & PACCAR Inc. Unless you're interested in building the earlier 1920's - 1930's versions of the tractor-truck, there are only a couple that I didn't mention that might be possible, ie. Diamond REO.

-- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

I think Diamond Reo is still around. http://www.t-linetrucks.com/ found this one wiki-.
Latest go at it!
As far as Mack goes, get ahold of Dennis Slagle, executive vice president of Volvo Group, Yah the same guy on undercover boss fame.
Kevin Flaherty is president North American sales, for Mack.
Ron Huibers is president Volvo North American Sales.

Cheer's, Neil.

Last edited by doodlebug; 02-23-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I think Diamond Reo is still around. http://www.t-linetrucks.com/ found this one wiki-.
Latest go at it!
As far as Mack goes, get ahold of Danny Slagle, Yah the same guy on undercover boss fame.

Cheer's, Neil.
HMMM , I wonder where they got the cab

Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hmmm, look's like S Series, from Yer faverite brand!

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Hmmm, look's like S Series, from Yer faverite brand!

Cheer's, Neil.
ay sir to be sure though I never really cared for the s series even though I have a 4600

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Green Horn

Smokin Joe is on a distinguished road

If Tamiya cries "lack of sales", fire back with lack of 'Advertisement'.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Gregg is on a distinguished road

Aint gonna happen.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

time will tell but it seems to me it is time for an american company to start building american truck models , and before i get the things are cheaper from overseas speech , it was, it is not now , now it is cheaper to in mexico lol
Anyway we have most of what is needed all ready just need body's
On scale4x4 a gentleman is showing how to make a body from start to finish and the same thing could be done for truck body's ,Tamiya has and will discontinue making most of these body styles sometime in the future ,so a new company is needed ,
it that not why this forum was started to have a home grown place for semi trucks .etc?
the Vendor part is growing all of the time so once once we get a body maker
we should be fine
there is a place for vacuum formed bodies and hard bodies and from what i have seen on here the skills are here , you don't have to make a bunch of bodies just one for a mold and then you make as many as are ordered
IHC,Peterbilt,Mack ,grandpa joe's farm hay truck from brazil , all it takes is
someone ,anyone to make one body of a truck and Then you can ask the companies for the licence to make more ,but you can make one with no licence needed as long as you don't make it to sale ,
it is a lot easier to get a license with a prototype in hand than with an idea in your head
i will check out the max number you can do without a license also

ok grumpy is done for now lol
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The future is in 3d printing! I don't have $15-25,000 to get started with. And a 3d scanner is handy too. And don't forget the cad experience too. Yes there are cheaper priner's out there, but the finished product, need's more finish work, catch 22 on price vs finish! Cheer's, Neil.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygrady View Post
time will tell but it seems to me it is time for an american company to start building american truck models , and before i get the things are cheaper from overseas speech , it was, it is not now , now it is cheaper to in mexico lol
Anyway we have most of what is needed all ready just need body's
On scale4x4 a gentleman is showing how to make a body from start to finish and the same thing could be done for truck body's ,Tamiya has and will discontinue making most of these body styles sometime in the future ,so a new company is needed ,
it that not why this forum was started to have a home grown place for semi trucks .etc?
the Vendor part is growing all of the time so once once we get a body maker
we should be fine
there is a place for vacuum formed bodies and hard bodies and from what i have seen on here the skills are here , you don't have to make a bunch of bodies just one for a mold and then you make as many as are ordered
IHC,Peterbilt,Mack ,grandpa joe's farm hay truck from brazil , all it takes is
someone ,anyone to make one body of a truck and Then you can ask the companies for the licence to make more ,but you can make one with no licence needed as long as you don't make it to sale ,
it is a lot easier to get a license with a prototype in hand than with an idea in your head
i will check out the max number you can do without a license also

ok grumpy is done for now lol
Problem is can a guy working out of his house afford the license to produce a few scale replica bodies? Big companies may not even be interested in someone like that, who wants to make a couple a week. I'd be a little surprised if the cost to obtain the license is any less expensive, if you produce less product with that name on it, but who knows?