RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road
Default 3 or 4 channel radio

Saw this 4 channel radio on eBay and rc4wd..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC4WD-XR4-4-...-/310642552435

Is this a good radio to control the tamiya 3 speed trans. I see it has a 3 position switch on the 3rd and 4th channel. That sounds like it would control the shifting much better than trying to hold a stick in the position you want.

Are there other radios that offer this kind of gear shift channel control ?

Thanks

Trent
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 or 4 channel radio

I wouldn't recommend that one... I would go with a spectrum dx5 or higher. Pistol grip radios could work but not with a mfu that I know of. on my DX8 I could run my trans on a 3 pos switch
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 3 or 4 channel radio

I guess it's personal preference, as to what you like, but pistol grip type radios just don't have enough channels (most of the time) for the semi trucks. If there was a 12 channel pistol grip radio out there, I think I'd actually prefer to use that to drive a truck vs. a stick radio. I'm just used to driving ground models with them. I've flown planes and helicopters, so it's not as though I am not used to stick radios. Pistol grip radios just feel better in the hand to me, for ground vehicles, but since a radio like that doesn't exist, I run a stick radio instead. For a piece of construction equipment, I am sure a stick radio will feel more natural.

Most of the 6 channel and up stick radios have 3 position toggle switches, which work great for 3 speed transmissions. It's not just a pistol grip radio feature, though more are starting to have 3 position switches now too. Some higher end stick radios have even more then one 3 position toggle switch, which can be really useful for other model functions.

I wouldn't steer you to any specific brand. There are lots of good ones out there, but I will just say buy something good, and don't be afraid to spend the money, if you intend to stick to this hobby for a while. RC electronics and radio gear is a good investment for the hobby. You'll always have them, even if you sell a model off later, so get something you can grow with, as opposed to buying something cheap.