RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road
Default Vario Digger in Cat Yellow

Ive been dragging my feet getting anything done on this model. But have finally found the time and money to do so. I was greatly inspired by and received lots of help from Joe and Kalle as you will see from a few pics here.

I originally painted the arm and base plate kubota Orange and was going the Hitachi route, and after months of looking at it i decided to start over and do something different. So i stripped the paint and went with Cat Yellow and will try to model a 385C the best i can. Base plate, cylinder end caps, eyes, undercarriage and bucket are powdercoated. I loved Azonic's hard lines and all the details he added to his machine so I followed his lead in a few areas.

[IMG][/IMG]

Im up to the parts where i fail miserably, understanding electronics..Heres what ive got, and im working on drawing my wiring diagram but am not sure of a few things., and could use some direction.

So here comes the barrage of questions..

Im planning on using my DX8, Ive got an Ar8000. Should work?
How do i want to run the channels from the RX?

Sabertooth 2x25 for track.- How do I want to set the POT switches if im running 11.1 v LIPO? no.3 switch off? 1,2,4,5?
What connects to 0v, where do i get the 5v from to hook to this port, s1, s2?

Roxy seems easy enough for pump.

Use the s20 or Sabertooth 2x12 for swing? How will the swing motor be wired to either of those? why does the 2x12 have rx leads coming from s1, s2, that are labeled fwd ,and turn? Is this how the s1, and s2 ports on the 2x25 sould be wired? looks impossible due to there only being 1 screw terminal for each and the leads are soldered to the board on the 2x12...

I realize these are elematary questions to some but this being my first real build form the ground up, I could use as much help as i can get.

Setting up the radio will be the next hurdle. Ive got some reading to do on that still. Not sure of the best stick layout or what channels to mix...

daunt·ing -

adjective
seeming difficult to deal with in anticipation; intimidating.

Last edited by JDH429; 04-11-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Green Horn

thercfreak2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vario Digger in Cat Yellow

Looking good mate and how much did the various excavator kit cost ?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Green Horn

Vario
Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

First question I have for you is, do you want to operate it with Cat or John Deere controls?
Cat is SAE, John Deere is ISO, See link for descriptions, http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/...etent-on/page4 See post #51
Great start so far!
Cheer's, Neil

Last edited by doodlebug; 04-11-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Wannabe

Thats a good point to make. SAE, so the link you provided helps alot. Thanks Neil
Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Whoa! That's looks incredible!! Those hoes are massive, would like to see one on a scale lowboy even though it would never really be scale unless it was broke down for transport.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Good to see you decided to keep the model Jason. Interesting choice of colors... building a new body too?

The 2x25... I don't have my old instruction for it... I'm looking at a 2x12 instruction sheet, don't remember if they're the same or not.

The four screw terminals for the rx, + - S1 S2 = wire both red into +, wire both black wires into -, and S1 plugs into Aux 1 ch (rx) & S2 into Aux 2 ch. I would use the red rx leads from both Sabertooths for BEC & delete the red lead from the Roxy. The Sabertooths seem to work erratic or not at all without the red leads going into the RX. Use of both red rx leads on Sabertooths to supply BEC, either one puts barely an amp, so there's no risk of injury there...

Dip switch 1 is down to turn mix off. Your Aux 1 & 2 tx 3pos switches will be operating each individually. Turn down EPA of each ch to 30 or 40% or adjust to whatever speed you're comfortable with.

You could use Dip Sw #1up (mix) so either Aux 1 or 2 is for/rev & the other steering as well. But slow EPA b/c @100% it's too fast!

I tried to use Aux 3 (dial) for proportional control of for/rev, but it doesn't work with the Sabertooth's mix without a lot of complicated programing manipulating sub trim & flight mode that's hard to explain & may vary from one model to the next.

There's a DX9 available now, it has sliders on the back of radio which would make use of the tracks a snap with the Sabertooth mix b/c both chs are full proportional control.

Dip sw 2 is down
Dip Sw 4 is down
Dip 5 & 6 the instructions will tell you the sequence to set your neutral center points & store them.

I tried the S20, I didn't like it b/c it had filtered hestitation from stop to start and minute movement back or forth when trying to maneuver my quick coupler into the receiver on the bucket was time consuming & often I would over swing b/c of the stalled movement for that approx. 1sec before activation.

I used the 2x12 for swing with Dip Sw1 down (mix off). The 2nd motor controller I use to operate my screener drum.

The instructions for the Roxy are pretty straight forward... probably best to use Aux 3 ch. I would assume dial turned all the way right is up & that's how you get into program mode when you turn on rx/model. Wait 3secs to set top - middle - bottom, then back to top & wait the next 8secs or so for the next set of beeps & go through the 5steps.

My 1st ever experience operating an excavator was a small Hitachi & the controls left stick boom/swing & right stick crowd/scoop... anybody I've seen who set their model up with Cat controls doesn't seem to operate their model very fluently... is it harder to learn or just bass ackwards all together, I don't know. Just b/c you're painting it Cat, doesn't mean it has to be Cat controls.

Mixing valves with pump, all you really need to know is Master is the Valve ch & Slave is pump ch. Figure out which directional rotation is correct for the pump & get the + & - 100's in the right order.

Joe
Old 04-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Wannabe

Joe. Im gonna need to read this over 20 more times to start to understand it all. But I was hoping to get a real breakdown like this. Your the man as always. Yes I plan to build a new body which will be a snap compared to what i think i need to do based on what I just read...

" I would use the red rx leads from both Sabertooths for BEC & delete the red lead from the Roxy.
My first question right off the bat is...I dont understand this sentence. Do I even have a BEC somewhere? What red RX leads? Oh man..this is gonna be painful. Please bare with me and speak as if your explaining to an infant, because i am when it comes to this parts of the hobby.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 PM

ngward79 is on a distinguished road

I don't have any experience with construction models as much as i would love to but have been building my own R/C vehicles for years and do all my own electronics + did car electronics professionally for 6 years and would be willing to help out. I live in Milan Ohio, basically half way between Lorain and Sandusky.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road

BEC = Battery Eliminating Circuit

Most ESC's (Electronic Speed Controllers's) nowadays have a BEC to eliminate the need for a separate battery to power the Receiver and servo's.

The plug from the ESC will have a Ground/Negative, Positive, and Signal. Brown or Black will be Ground/Negative, the middle wire is Positive, and the last one is the Signal wire.

If I wanted to NOT use the BEC capabilities of an ESC I would remove the Positive/middle wire from the connector. That would leave the Ground/Negative on one side of the connector and the other side would be the Signal wire.

Also Dimension Engineering has all the information about the Sabertooth ESC's on their site.

I hope I explained it properly, this stuff is confusing.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Wannabe

Avel, Thank you for clarifying and explaining. I was aware of what the bec does but I wasnt sure I had one because Ive only delt with ESCs that used externals before.

NG, Thank you for the support and offer. Ive got some good info to start with, and need to do more reading.

Claus, Yes, these are massive. You dont understand how big until you see one in person.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

rx leads - 3wire leads that plug into receiver
BEC - battery eliminator circuit, it's what gives your receiver power to operate, most every esc has one built into it. Disconnecting the red from the receiver lead plug disables the BEC. Having more than one esc providing BEC, especially if each one has a high amp rating can provide too much current to the receiver & may damage the receiver or other components plugged into the receiver.

Each Sabertooth barely puts out 1amp, so two Sabertooths providing BEC in series is not much of a concern.

To wire the 2x25, you can get servo extensions from hobby shop or oline or from junked servos to wire the screw terminals. Red is positive (middle wire), Black or Brown is negative (outer edge), and white or yellow or blue is signal.

On the Roxy esc, use a pin or tip of exacto blade to pry up plastic tab in receiver plug to pull red wire out, and tape it back on the lead wires to isolate it from grounding or shorting out. You could cut it out too if you were sure you would never use the esc for anything else but this model and never need the BEC.

ngward is what? an hour's drive west? if you're really stuck to understand this.

Joe
Old 04-12-2014, 01:10 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Scroll down to the bottom of the link page, Sabertooth 2 x 25, the instruction are in red, PDF's http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...sabertooth2x25 (new link)
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Wannabe

Thanks Joe, Starting to make more sense of it all now. I did not get the instructions that Doodle posted the link for. That was very helpful indeed..More pictures= More understanding. This can be a little confusing like Avel said.

Gonna get back at it this weekend and see what I can get done. Thanks again guys for chiming in.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Wow, great to have you back, Jason. This will be an awesome project to watch. No surprise there! If anyone can make this Vario look like a Caterpillar, it's you. I've always enjoyed your builds.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Wannabe

Thanks Nate, Gonna see what happens. Once i get the electronics figured out ill start cutting and bending some plate. Thanks for the support. Everyone has always been so helpful on the board.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Wannabe

I think Ive got a handle on the wiring. Still need to make some minor connections and set the DIP switches on the 2x12. But the Dip on the 2x25 is set, red 5v wire is pulled back from the rx plug on the Roxy, Track , and swing motor leads are hooked up, Power from batt on/off is wired to both Sabertooths. It seems clear now whats going on here. considering looking into changing radios to a Dx9, or 10t...? Any input is appreciated.

Question for anyone, If running 4-5mm LEDs in series, Can they be powered and controlled by an open channel on the RX? Hook them up to the pos and neg, or pos and signal wire? Switching that channel on and off would operate the Lights? Thanks

Last edited by JDH429; 04-12-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Green Horn

apfubar is on a distinguished road

On the LED's you need to have a RC Switch for a start... HobbyKing have some... or CTI's PS4 range(different ones have different switch modes)...

Then once you have the switch it is just a case of ensuring the right voltage get to the led's, this is controlled via resistors.

On the radio, I can not recommend a DX10t v1 (unless you get it cheap)... If you must have a tray radio, and you are wed to Spektrum then get a DX10T v2...

On the normal radios if you can live with 9 channels then a DX9 might be ok... If however you might add other hydraulic functions and need more than 9 channels... the DX18 would be better(and I would wait for the DX18 V2 with speech etc) if you can afford it.

I do have experience with a Graupner MC32 tray radio... they are technically more flexible than the Spektrum... but are harder to program(for me)... let alone their financial challenges...

Cheers,
AP

Last edited by apfubar; 04-12-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added radio commentary
Old 04-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Led calculator

http://www.micro-ohm.com/colorcode/rescolor.html

Resistor identifier.

I don't know how much you know about LEDs , but you need to have the correct voltage to the LEDs or they will burn out. Nothing else really matters with these diodes, just the correct voltage. How many, how they are wired, (series/parallel) can be any way you want just have to have the right voltage. The package should say what ratings they have.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Green Horn

I recommend these two radios