RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM

sgt hopkins is on a distinguished road
Default tapping my frame

Ok, I have my frame rails with a buncha holes, whats the best way to tap them? what size tap? or should I just get a screw and thread it in?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Gregg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tapping my frame

What size screws will you be using? The normal screw size is an M3x.05. That is the best overall size to use. The tap you would need is for that screw and it takes a 1/8th clearancing bit . What size are the holes in the rails? You will need to tap them according to the hole sizes you currently have. You will destroy the screws and rails if you just try to ram home screws in the current holes.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
What size screws will you be using? The normal screw size is an M3x.05. That is the best overall size to use. The tap you would need is for that screw and it takes a 1/8th clearancing bit . What size are the holes in the rails? You will need to tap them according to the hole sizes you currently have. You will destroy the screws and rails if you just try to ram home screws in the current holes.
1/8 is gonna be too big for a 3mm tap. Need to use 3/32 with some tapping fluid for the alumunium. Stops it from gumming the bits up.

Rob
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM

Gregg is on a distinguished road

Well I just ran about twenty M3x.05 screws in 1/8 holes with plenty of meat left.
That is the bit size that was recommended by the hardwhare supplier and they even supplied me with a free drill bit and tap for those screws.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I use #43 .0890 . the tap specifies 2.5 mm .0984 . I use #43 with no probs also it's the same for my 4-40 sae treads . Get a spiral point (gun tap) for non blind holes , works so much better , just a little more $ then your std taper/plug tap . when tapping use some cutting fluid of some sort and keep the tap clean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Well I just ran about twenty M3x.05 screws in 1/8 holes with plenty of meat left.
That is the bit size that was recommended by the hardwhare supplier and they even supplied me with a free drill bit and tap for those screws.
thats funny cause , 3 mm is .1181" and 1/8" is .125 not much meat left for threading . I use .125 (1/8) for my through holes for 3 mm .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 PM

sgt hopkins is on a distinguished road

AAHHHH!! Too many numbers and fractions and .....

I didnt drill the holes myself, it was done for me, I am pretty sure it is all the same size holes as the stock KH. Ima just find a tap that fits just snug enough to tap em and go from there. If I screw one up, I can just nut the back of it and keep learning..
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 PM
White Line Fever

roadranger is on a distinguished road

What drill size to tap for 2mm screws in the top flange of the rails?

Jim B.
Colorado Springs
Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

Hi- jack alert!!

While we're on the subject of tapping..........What size are the screws that are used the the mud flap holders? I need to get a tap and bit for them.

Ben
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Green Horn

Trucker Al is on a distinguished road

RoadRanger,
you need a 1.6 mm drill for a 2mm tap.