RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM

sgt hopkins is on a distinguished road
Default glueing styrine

I got a KH cab with the sleeper cut off. Now I gotta fill the big hole. I know you guys use diff. stuff for glue before filler, but Ima kinda a use what ya got guy. Would I be ok with using gorilla glue or reg. model glue for this? or would the gorilla glue be too solid, not enough flex. I bobbed a hilux bed once, used gorilla glue and reg. automotive bondo and never had any issues. would the semi need more body flex?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 AM

siuvinson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: glueing styrine

You can glue styrene with what you've got, but the joints will be very brittle and break easily. I use the Plastruct Bondene...others use similar things like Tenax and more i can't think of right now. This doesn't actually glue the styrene together, it melts/"welds" it together. You can still see breaks at the joints, but strengthening the backside of the joint w/ more styrene will reduce this.

hope that helps!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM

yeah, I will have to drive an hour just to get plastruct so I figured I would use gorilla glue. regular model glue also melts the parts together and I could get it about 30 min. away. Just trying to save gas money... unless someone really..really.. says not to do it, Im going to try gorilla glue this time and see how it goes I guess..
Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 PM

siuvinson is on a distinguished road

why not order it online and have it shipped? you could try w/ regular glue in the meantime, then you will have the bondene for later uses.

I normally use just plastruct products and order them from Tower Hobbies. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDJ94&P=ML
Old 03-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Ha, all the parts I have ordered, and I never thought of ordering any type of glue. ... I will use my glue for this one, I have two frames so another body is in the works as well. Thanks for helping learn to say POP!.....
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

if you have a hardware store close you can get some MEK in the paint part of it and it is what most of the styrene bonders are
and a lot cheaper,, use a glass eye dropper to apply or a glass syringe
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Green Horn

Panther F is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: glueing styrine

Amroid Pro Weld is what I use. It's the best of all the liquid cements out there for styrene and other types of plastic. Very fast drying and very strong bonds.

~ Jeff