RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Sliding 5th wheels?

I'm at the point in my KW build where I need to mount up my 5th wheel plate. I've been thinking of different ways to do that, and I'm considering making it a (manual) slider. The question is whether or not it's worth the extra effort on a model truck. Chances are I'm not going to slide it around much, but the cool factor and adjustability would be there, if I ever needed it. What do you guys think? Do it, or not? Seems almost everyone has their 5th wheels centered over the drive axles, if not slightly forward, but once it's set, that's pretty much where it stays. Beyond picking up a little traction on the steer wheels, I don't think it would be all that beneficial for a model. We don't seem to be to concerned with fuel mileage, ride comfort, and axle weight requirements!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sliding 5th wheels?

Look at Travis's screw drive sliding 5th wheel, I really like his setup!
Just my peanut gallery opinion.
Cheers, Neil.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Nate the 1 on my 5900 slides real simple . You just need a long needle nosed pliers to pull the pin and lock the trailer brakes and back up or go fwd to the next position

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Nate the 1 on my 5900 slides real simple . You just need a long needle nosed pliers to pull the pin and lock the trailer brakes and back up or go fwd to the next position
Pictures, Steve? On my Kenworth, I was basically thinking of using a plate that sides between a couple keyways, with multiple holes, drilled and tapped. That way I can pull a couple screws, slide the plate, and put the screws back in.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Green Horn

Dieselchopper is on a distinguished road

This is what I am doing for my winch deck. I will mount a micro servo under it to have it work from controller. I haven't gotten to posting it on the build thread yet and it still needs a few modifications.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Diesel Chopper, that looks like a nice set-up! Thise tires are sweet!

Keep the ideas coming guys. I'm still leaning torward making up a set of rails that bolt to the chassis, with a keyway milled into them and a few holes to position the 5th wheel fore and aft. Then mounting the 5th wheel onto a plate that will fit into the keyway. Simple, all manual, and kind of basic, but I think it will work well.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

I have seen his 5th wheel slider in person and it is SWEET!
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.