RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 AM

kenworth is on a distinguished road
Default Scale question.

I know alot of you probably have seen my truck. I will admit i did not build to scale and you are possibly saying why bother now or alittle to late but here we go. I would like to know what are the measurements from a foot to 1/14 scale and so on for future builds. I geuss i should know this stuff since i took drafting in high school but i think i am really rusty i know i am laughing too.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scale question.

Maybe I am being too simple but to make something to a specific scale, divide the 1:1 measurement by the scale you want to use. For example, if you want a 280 inch wheelbase in 1:14 scale, it would be 20 inches long (280/14=20). If you have something you want to use and need to figure out what scale it is, divide it by the 1:1 measurement. For example, on a large skidder tire, if the 1:1 outside diameter is 79 inches and you want to use a 5 inch tire for your scale model skidder, the scale would be 1:15.8 (79/5=15.8).
Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Kenworh. First thing to remember is that always convert whatever you want to model, Truck, Bulldozer, or whatever into inches. say a dozer is 20' 6" that equals 246" Then it's just a simple matter of dividing that measurement by the scale your building in. The dozer turns out to be 246" divided by 14 = 17.571 or 17 1/2" long. If you have a calculator that has a constant button, just put your scale in there. Then you can enter whatever dimension in inches you want and just hit the button To scale up or down is the same. Truck tire in 1/32 scale. Tire is 1.375 x32 =44" divide by 14= 3.143" and that just .131 smaller than a Tamiya tire. Hope this helps
Rob
Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

1 divided by 14 = .0714'' That would equal 1 inch to your scale and times it by 12= .8571'' = 1'.
On my model I use: .0625''=1'' or 3/4''=1' this is less confusing to me
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM

kenworth is on a distinguished road

I want to say thank you for that. I went back and measured my truck wheelbase and the trailer. The truck is ok but i think i am 5' scale over legal length oops.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:05 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Hi Kenworth,

If your after a scale conversion calculator this is one that I use on Revell / Iterlari and other kits might be of uses to you or others
http://http://www.wwmodelclub.org/extra/sd_scalecalc2.htm

Cheers Cossett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.